Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page A question...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2008, 02:37 PM   #1
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Is it more important to accept yourself for who you are, or to try and change the things abour yourself that you don't like?

Recently I've been feeling pretty down about myself (like every other boardie seems to be too - I thought summer was supposed to be a happy time?) and I don't know whether I should just work on being happy with the way I am, or try and change my life (this would have to be a pretty radical change).

When and how do you know that your life is 'wrong' or 'bad' as opposed to just having a lack of confidence in yourself and the things you do?

Sorry just rambling a bit here, but it would be good to get some other opinions, it's really hard to look at your own life objectively.
Old 06.16.2008, 02:46 PM   #2
luisxvi
bad moon rising

luisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmm well I think if you are unhappy then you should change something but not always about yourself, if you know what I mean? thats a bit vague but perhaps you could try a change of scene or doing something different and see how you feel then?
Old 06.16.2008, 02:49 PM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
Is it more important to accept yourself for who you are, or to try and change the things abour yourself that you don't like?

Recently I've been feeling pretty down about myself (like every other boardie seems to be too - I thought summer was supposed to be a happy time?) and I don't know whether I should just work on being happy with the way I am, or try and change my life (this would have to be a pretty radical change).

When and how do you know that your life is 'wrong' or 'bad' as opposed to just having a lack of confidence in yourself and the things you do?

Sorry just rambling a bit here, but it would be good to get some other opinions, it's really hard to look at your own life objectively.

it's more about escaping from the perfectionism/obsessiveness/judgment that we impose upon ourselves.

it all comes from having been socially programmed to earn love-- "if you're good mommy will love you" rather than learning unconditional love. i'm not saying your mom was like that, but the whole society is rigged to make us "earn" the esteem of others-- eventually we internalize the process and we do it to ourselves-- we hate ourselves when we fuck up, we gloat when we have some kind of supreme performance.

so we strive for better grades, great performances, a perfect figure, impeccable taste, whatever-- so that we can feel lovable.

that makes us slaves.

regardless of how great you do, you'll never please everyone-- so the key (i have learned) is to act as your own best friend-- when your best friend fucks up or has a lettuce in their teeth you don't say "hey you pig, you flawed, you faulty, i despise you and i hold you in contempt"-- right? well just like you accept your own best friends warts and all can you do that with yourself? stop judging? i guarantee you, you won't become a slob-- you'll simply free up the energy you waste in self-judging and you'll fall into more positive pursuits.

i swear.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
!@#$% says to stop judging, he's probably older and wiser than me- actually not probably, he is, but in my youthful confidence I'll throw in my two cents on the matter.

I still judge and criticise myself on many points and I don't see it as anything bad, it's just what helps me feel good about myself. For instance, when my hair looked bad, I said to myself, "you have a bad hairstyle", and I went and got it cut and then I looked much better and got many compliments from people about it and that made me feel better about it, it gave me confidence.

Thats self-judging that did me a world of good! To contrast the superficiality of that example I'll offer a second; I knew too well that I was too shy and quiet and that I was wasting time being hung up about making a fool of myself- I changed that when I started at Community College and knew that with a fresh start I could reassess myself and reinvent myself to my fullest potential. I took risks, yes, but I'm a lot happier for it. I've made more friends than I ever thought I'd have and they're all lovely people who make me smile.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 03:31 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
!@#$% says to stop judging, he's probably older and wiser than me- actually not probably, he is, but in my youthful confidence I'll throw in my two cents on the matter.

I still judge and criticise myself on many points and I don't see it as anything bad, it's just what helps me feel good about myself. For instance, when my hair looked bad, I said to myself, "you have a bad hairstyle", and I went and got it cut and then I looked much better and got many compliments from people about it and that made me feel better about it, it gave me confidence.

Thats self-judging that did me a world of good! To contrast the superficiality of that example I'll offer a second; I knew too well that I was too shy and quiet and that I was wasting time being hung up about making a fool of myself- I changed that when I started at Community College and knew that with a fresh start I could reassess myself and reinvent myself to my fullest potential. I took risks, yes, but I'm a lot happier for it. I've made more friends than I ever thought I'd have and they're all lovely people who make me smile.

good point danny but when lucy mentions depressed i see a little beneath the surface-- depression is usually brought about by self-punishment and self-condemnation (i am an expert in that matter! i made my own life miserable for decades!).

so yeah i still get haircuts & try to do this & that & the other, recently moved to a decent city, made lots of progress in what people would call "my life", but the main point is that when i fail or fall short of my expectations i may feel a bit sad but i don't start putting myself down inside my head-- on the contrary, i treat myself kindly-- just like i would a friend.

so if your hair looks crummy and you don't have money for a decent haircut don't go around telling yourself youre a worthless slob is what im saying, ha ha ha-- don't make self esteem conditional on "goals" and appearances. be your best friend no matter what you do.
Old 06.16.2008, 03:37 PM   #6
girlgun
invito al cielo

girlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's asses
very good advice, symbol guy. but easier said than done.

i obsess. i'm depressed and obsessing. i'm driving myself crazy.
girlgun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 03:41 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgun
very good advice, symbol guy. but easier said than done.

i don't agree-- my life was A LOT harder and way more painful when i was in the habit of judging and tormenting myself. for a time i was even ready to off myself and i escaped that fate by the width of a pube.

the only thing i regret is not having figured it out sooner.

yeah it takes work to figure out (7 years of therapy enough for you?) but it's soooooooo fucking worth it.

it's like being released from a fucking chain gang!
Old 06.16.2008, 03:49 PM   #8
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
It takes a lot of effort to change yourself. I know by experience as well. I spent most of my childhood and adolescent in a depressing state. I finally decided to get help and better myself.

I also realized I wasn't a mainstream person, and most likely will never be. I am fine with that. You just have to look within yourself and work what needs to be work and leave what doesn't need to be changed.

edit- Therapy really helped me out a lot. It made me focus on the kinks of my life. If you can afford one you should take it.
Old 06.16.2008, 03:49 PM   #9
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Brilliant question! Been wondering about that myself for awhile.

I went to therapy in an attempt to change what was wrong in my life, and we spent the whole time trying to make me feel good about my life as it is.

I found out that this is a common therapy route. Like, "Don't work on making more friends, be cool with having none."

Accepting your life or changing it: either seems incredibly difficult, and I'm not sure which is best. Probably the former.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 03:50 PM   #10
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Well changing few things can improve your life, while retaining some can also improve it as well.
Old 06.16.2008, 04:03 PM   #11
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i guess there is a need for a balance between changing things that need to be changed (like living a healthier lifestyle and such) and accepting things that just are.

i don't think i need therapy. or maybe i do, but i don't think that i would be taken seriously enough, and i can't afford to go private for it. sonic youth fans are my therapist.

i do try and think constructively whenever i get into a state, i write a lot of personal reflection type stuff which can be really helpful, but at the end of the day i feel i need some objectivity so i can look at my life without all my stupid hangups in the way and sort out whats good and whats not.
Old 06.16.2008, 04:07 PM   #12
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
There's a lot of assumptions I would need to make in order to answer the first post. Is your lack of confidence coming from your appearence or behavior? Is it an identity crisis or a fear of rejection/disapproval? Both Danny and !@#$! each show an avenue. It could be something else. I would suggest you to consult a psychologist on the matter instead of a message board but, for my experience, they usually seem to ask the wrong questions. Working it out for yourself, if you are strong enough, is the best course.

I also should add that people that go through such personal, existential trials usually end up to be more aware, mentally-strong individuals. At least from what I've gathered.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 04:14 PM   #13
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

i just accept the things that i would like to change about myself but can't. for example, i will always be needing to be in a relationship, even when i try to tell myself i don't need to be in one i can't change myself no matter how much i want to. but then again if i was forced to change something about myself that was destroying me than i would and could. i don't know maybe that's not the answer you're expecting.

you're right though a lot of people have been down on this board lately. that includes myself. i think that will change after i move though. i'm just going through a depression because of boredom.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 04:35 PM   #14
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
For me, it's different...

I don't really get depressed, but sometimes I get strong feelings of apathy towards the world around me.

But lately, I've caught myself thinking more and more about the future.
I'm finding it easier to be optimistic about the world around me.
Feelings of apathy are slowly diminishing
Creative juices are flowing.

My own personal renaissance.

Awesome.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 08:27 PM   #15
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well just like you accept your own best friends warts and all can you do that with yourself? stop judging? i guarantee you, you won't become a slob-- you'll simply free up the energy you waste in self-judging and you'll fall into more positive pursuits.

i swear.

I've never looked at it that way . Or at least , I have never been able to trust that idea , ever . Hmm .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 08:29 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
I've never looked at it that way . Or at least , I have never been able to trust that idea , ever . Hmm .

so you'd rather beat yourself up mentally until you're ready to hang yourself?

ouch.
Old 06.16.2008, 08:36 PM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
For me, it's different...

I don't really get depressed, but sometimes I get strong feelings of apathy towards the world around me.

But lately, I've caught myself thinking more and more about the future.
I'm finding it easier to be optimistic about the world around me.
Feelings of apathy are slowly diminishing
Creative juices are flowing.

My own personal renaissance.

Awesome.

That's cool
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 08:39 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse

rereading the "hmmm" i realize you might be willing to give it a try?

definitely do-- what do you have to lose?

you've probably heard that definition of insanity as trying the same thing over & over & expect different results-- right?

the trick is to catch yourself at the begining of the self-destructive inner diatribe & just pull the plug on it-- refuse to participate.

you might find yourself laughing at the foolishness of that little judge inside your head. he's likely to be a ceaseless chatterbox like mine was, ha ha ha.

nag, nag, nag...
Old 06.16.2008, 08:58 PM   #19
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
From the Buddhist perspective, there is no self to change. A Zen Buddhist would tell you your first mistake is thinking there is a solid self to change when in fact your self is in itself change--that is, if the Buddhist were an asshole.

For better advice, you should read Pema Chodron's The Wisdom of No Escape. She's an ordained Tibetan Buddhist and gives some heartfelt advice, to quote from the cover blurb, about "about making friends with ourselves and our world, about accepting the delightful and painful situation of no-exit. It exhorts us to wake up wholeheartedly and to use the abundant richly textured fabric of everyday life as our primary spiritual teacher and guide."

It's actually much better than it sounds. I read it a few years back when I was feeling down and it really helped. I still go back to it now and then when I'm feeling weird about things.

It's an easy read, too.
Old 06.16.2008, 11:27 PM   #20
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I know how you're feeling.

There are so many things I want to change about myself right now that it's kind of ridiculous.

I'm thinking that I need to get out and experience things, and let myself change naturally. That sounds weird, but I hope you get what I mean? Rather than just up and changing yourself one day. I want to be myself more, not that I'm phony, just that I don't show myself a whole lot. I want to do things that make me happen rather than sticking with routine.

Anyways, now I'm rambling

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth