Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page tablet laptops (hellllllllp!)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2006, 03:14 PM   #1
spiritbears
bad moon rising

spiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-festspiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Any students out there use a tablet laptop for school? I need a laptop for law school and the tablets seem like a good idea for taking notes etc....
Any insights or suggestions??????
G
Old 05.22.2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Not too sure. I've got a laptop though, and I can tell you why they score over the more traditional pc (in my opinion):

1. They are not prohibitively expensive.
2. They do not take up much space.
3. They are not ugly. Quite the reverse, in fact.
4. The negative comments that people make about laptops are untrue.
5. They can't really be upgraded. This may sound like a bad thing, but it's actually quite good - it means that you aren't constantly spending cash/saving cash for the latest cg677 chip or whatever.
6. I've got one. And I'm a barometer of cool.
7. They are very reliable.
8. They are portable. Obviously.
9. Despite what the assistants in Dixons 'shops' try to tell you, with their vast 'knowledge' and desire to be 'helpful' and 'honest', using a printer and a scanner and decent speakers etc DOES NOT screw up your laptop by making it go very slow.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:33 PM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
they suck. get a thinkpad x60 if you're buying new. there is the tablet version if you MUST have one. but in general avoid consumer laptops and spluge on business class (ibm/lenovo thinkpads; dell precision or.. latitude i think? just get business class. dont' fuck around with this purchase. consumer laptops have crappy battery, sucky chassis, and will crap out on you when you most need them.

i've had an ibm x30 for the past 3 years and i love it. they are the best-- so small & light to carry you won't get a nasty backache. the current model is the x60. when you have one on your hands you'll understand the meaning of "ultraportable". and then they are built like tanks-- short of the panasonic toughbook (which you can't buy unless you're in the army or mining business or something), sturdiest laptop around
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:36 PM   #4
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Running an iBook 1.33ghz with 768mb of ram and it handles whatever I throw at it.....
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Ha Ha. Nice synchronised posting by !"£$%! and myself there. All planned you know, to give both sides of the argument.

Old 05.22.2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Running an iBook 1.33ghz with 768mb of ram and it handles whatever I throw at it.....

I have a GAteway SOlo of some description. It has a sticker that says 'Pentium III', and it does everything I want it too. It's lovely.

Old 05.22.2006, 04:40 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Ha Ha. Nice synchronised posting by !"£$%! and myself there. All planned you know, to give both sides of the argument.

eh? no! i love laptops too... it's TABLET laptops that are shit. i've tried them-- they suck.

ibm x series the greatest laptop ever. some would say the t series. o well...

--

on and there is a x-series that is a tablet btw. i just hate tablets
Old 05.22.2006, 04:43 PM   #8
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Oh well, that's that post ruined then.

Old 05.22.2006, 04:48 PM   #9
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with !@#% that tablet pc's are shite....I mean, WTF? Who could think that these machines can to anything but wear out.....RdTv, staying with laptops until time recycles.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 07:20 PM   #10
spiritbears
bad moon rising

spiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-festspiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
what do you guys have against tablets? specific problems????
I really need something i can take good notes with and still handle all my other crap.....
Old 05.22.2006, 07:23 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

the character recognition is shit. you can type much faster. and the screen breaks easier =$$$. and you pay extra for stupid features.
Old 05.22.2006, 07:46 PM   #12
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I have a Gateway convertible tablet PC.....The monitor swivels and locks down when you want to write and use the pen for a mouse....then you just unlock it and swing it back around when you want to type and use the mouse. The character recognition when writing is not that great so far, but it is supposed to improve the more you use it and I haven't used it that much.

....oh and you can buy an extra battery to give it more power...it just sticks in there where the CD/DVD-rom thing goes.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 08:43 PM   #13
wearescientists
bad moon rising

wearescientists is a jewel in the roughwearescientists is a jewel in the roughwearescientists is a jewel in the rough
i agree you can type much faster....what law school?
wearescientists is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 10:11 PM   #14
spiritbears
bad moon rising

University of Arizona...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth