Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Death Reissue
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.30.2024, 05:30 AM   #1
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
It's one of my favourite records ever (like right on the pinnacle of my musical mountain) and the CD copy I bought in 94 isn't going to hold up forever.... isn't it a good time for some kind of physical rerelease? OG style tape, a CD (broken into tracks this time?), or even a double LP.

People need mysterious live recording sound collage in their lives, and pretty much nobody ever makes them.

Please.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2024, 09:59 AM   #2
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
I second this, especially if there was a way to remaster it, but how can one remaster THAT
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2024, 06:00 PM   #3
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I'd definitely be curious if Thurston's original master was still somewhere to be transferred, as I too worship Sonic Death (proof?), but I'd be much more curious to hear some of the uncirculating shows from that same era. In other words, the full shows that were sampled on Sonic Death, or just other recordings from '81 thru '83. We're fortunate as fans that so many are "out there", but there's some that probably exist solely in the band's archive. I doubt there's any major "early sonic" release forthcoming but seeing some of them pop up through bandcamp would be a dream.

And don't get me started on Arcadians tapes...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2024, 06:16 PM   #4
Genteel Death 2
empty page

Genteel Death 2 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I'd definitely be curious if Thurston's original master was still somewhere to be transferred, as I too worship Sonic Death (proof?), but I'd be much more curious to hear some of the uncirculating shows from that same era. In other words, the full shows that were sampled on Sonic Death, or just other recordings from '81 thru '83. We're fortunate as fans that so many are "out there", but there's some that probably exist solely in the band's archive. I doubt there's any major "early sonic" release forthcoming but seeing some of them pop up through bandcamp would be a dream.

I also assume sourcing a lot of their early live work etc must be quite a lot of work in terms of tracking things down from people they knew from that era who may be either dead or not into music as much as they were into it back then, or simply got rid of stuff over the years. When I was talking to Graham Lambkin recently, he told me that to get some of the recordings that went onto the recent Shadow Ring box set took him about five years and contacting a lot of people. They had only performed in the UK once, for some internet radio thing in the early days. Apparently Bill Callahan of Smog was a good source.
Genteel Death 2 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.02.2024, 03:46 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death 2
I also assume sourcing a lot of their early live work etc must be quite a lot of work in terms of tracking things down from people they knew from that era who may be either dead or not into music as much as they were into it back then, or simply got rid of stuff over the years. When I was talking to Graham Lambkin recently, he told me that to get some of the recordings that went onto the recent Shadow Ring box set took him about five years and contacting a lot of people. They had only performed in the UK once, for some internet radio thing in the early days. Apparently Bill Callahan of Smog was a good source.

The box set is awesome, do you have it?
Old 08.02.2024, 03:52 AM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

Sonic Death vols 2, 3 &, etc is what the public is demanding.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth