Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Floating cities
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.29.2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I hope not:

http://environment.uk.msn.com/climat...mentid=8832619
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
why not? sounds amazing.
It would allow for a "start from scratch" approach fo fuel, resources, recycling, etc. I think it would be dope as funky smoke.
Old 01.29.2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses

WANT

seriously what is wrong with these?
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Well firstly I don't want areas of Britain flooded. Secondly I don't think humanity should start building out at sea, I think that would be a a bad road to go down. Thirdly I can't imagine liking living in an environment that has been completely designed. There's also a problem with the design in that if they were built with those huge structures, for much of the day the sun would be blocked out.
Old 01.29.2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
well aren't all environments already designed by Carlton Fisk? I don't think he stole the sun.
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 11:03 AM   #6
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I would imagine that this system would greatly use the ocean as a resource (obviously). In order for this to be worthwhile, we would really have to not only design cities that floated and looked awesome, but also make sure that we aren't destroying the ocean. We are greatly affecting this valuable asset to human life as we are living now; I can only imagine the harm we could potential cause if we built our cities on top of it.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
obviously this is where the rich will escape to when they've destroyed everything else
Old 01.29.2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
every city, town or village you could ever hope to live in has been FULLY DESIGNED man. what's the whup?
Old 01.29.2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
every city, town or village you could ever hope to live in has been FULLY DESIGNED man. what's the whup?

That's not true. Man doesn't design the environment that the cities are built on though he can alter it. Also most cities, at least in Britain, haven't been designed but have gradually grown, developed, redeveloped and been built upon. Of course that is still a kind of design but when you design a place like that, with the whole structure planned out with no influence from nature, no countryside surrounding it, and by losing the more natural growth you lose the humaness of the place, it would seem very cold and artificial. And also if they did do make them there's no way they would like that. They would be a lot cheaper and shitty than that, especially knowing Britain and how it does things like this for example the post war rebuilding in the 60s when loads of shitty high rise blocks of flats were built.
Old 01.29.2009, 12:23 PM   #10
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
I would imagine that this system would greatly use the ocean as a resource (obviously). In order for this to be worthwhile, we would really have to not only design cities that floated and looked awesome, but also make sure that we aren't destroying the ocean. We are greatly affecting this valuable asset to human life as we are living now; I can only imagine the harm we could potential cause if we built our cities on top of it.

Exactly.

By doing this they are sitting a precedent and the sea becomes just another area to be filled with buildings.
Old 01.29.2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what precedent. the Dubai people construct whole islands.
the chinese did this centuries ago, so did the japanese. big whup.
Old 01.29.2009, 12:38 PM   #12
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what precedent. the Dubai people construct whole islands.
the chinese did this centuries ago, so did the japanese. big whup.

Not this easily. If this was the same as that then why are people excited about this idea? This is very different. And they made actual islands out of actual land, not floating islands that are going to need a lot less material. You can only make an actual isand where the water is relatively shallow. A floating island you can put anywhere.
Old 01.29.2009, 12:40 PM   #13
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
amazing pix
i love this futuristic stuff.
Old 01.29.2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Not this easily. If this was the same as that then why are people excited about this idea? This is very different. And they made actual islands out of actual land, not floating islands that are going to need a lot less material. You can only make an actual isand where the water is relatively shallow. A floating island you can put anywhere.

difference = carlton fisk
Old 01.29.2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloriel
difference = carlton fisk

I googled Carlton Fisk. Apparently he was a baseball player. I don't see the relevance.
Old 01.29.2009, 12:52 PM   #16
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

well at least one more person knows who my dad is. and yes he liked to sketch out plans for floating cities.
Old 01.29.2009, 01:06 PM   #17
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
That's not true. Man doesn't design the environment that the cities are built on though he can alter it. Also most cities, at least in Britain, haven't been designed but have gradually grown, developed, redeveloped and been built upon. Of course that is still a kind of design but when you design a place like that, with the whole structure planned out with no influence from nature, no countryside surrounding it, and by losing the more natural growth you lose the humaness of the place, it would seem very cold and artificial. And also if they did do make them there's no way they would like that. They would be a lot cheaper and shitty than that, especially knowing Britain and how it does things like this for example the post war rebuilding in the 60s when loads of shitty high rise blocks of flats were built.

While I agree that there are big risks and problems with this idea, I don't feel that it loses "humaness." I don't feel that land has any direct connecting with the human race except for the fact that this is where we have always lived. We might feel that we lose something in a change like this, but that is only because we are preconditioned to view land as our home. As generations went on, living on these floating cities, humans would feel no specific connection towards land in the same way we do today.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 01:22 PM   #18
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
floatingcities are for suckers.

sunken is where it's at.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 01:27 PM   #19
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 01:57 PM   #20
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
I kind of hope they happen. It'd be like living in a science fiction novel.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth