Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Top Ten Unfinished Books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.05.2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Can't remember if this was posted before.

Can't remember the details, but there was a list of the books most frequently bought but not read.

1) Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
2) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
3) Ulysses by James Joyce
4) Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières
5) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
6) The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
7) The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
8) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
9) The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
10) Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Wasn't Finnegans Wake on there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
No.
Old 12.05.2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Pookie
invito al cielo

Although it would be on my list.
Old 12.05.2008, 10:23 PM   #5
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
I've read one and a half of them. Crime and Punishment and Ulysses, respectively. Are any of the others any good? I gave Finnegan's Wake as a gift to be an asshole once.
Old 12.05.2008, 10:23 PM   #6
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Lila - Robert M. Pirsig
House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
Red Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2008, 10:24 PM   #7
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Someone lent me the Alchemist and I never finished it. HA!
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2008, 10:25 PM   #8
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
house of leaves was fucking teeeerrrrrible
Old 12.05.2008, 10:30 PM   #9
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
It was cool to a point.
Old 12.05.2008, 10:52 PM   #10
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

The whole horror part of the book was cool enough. But whatever the story that was told in the margins was is the epitome of what i hate about most contemporary literature. Mindless drug addiction portrayal is fucking boring and trite and in no way sympathetic/shocking/interesting. And it seems to be what a majority or writers write about nowadays. Who really gives a fuck about the wreckless/indulgent lifestyle.
Old 12.05.2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
You're terrible.

WHO THE FUCK DIDN'T FINISH GOBLET OF FIRE!?
Old 12.05.2008, 11:09 PM   #12
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
You're terrible.

WHO THE FUCK DIDN'T FINISH GOBLET OF FIRE!?

For real, I've read GoF like 4 times, each in less than a day.
Old 12.05.2008, 11:49 PM   #13
Vivi
empty page

Vivi has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie

Definitely on my to-do list.

I have yet to finish Middlemarch by George Eliot.
Vivi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 12:09 AM   #14
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I can't think of a whole list, but one book I attempted in high school was Kafka's The Castle. Not because it was boring or anything, but the thing was one long paragraph. No breaks for changing speakers or chapters or anything. I would have to remember the last word of the last sentence I read in order to pick up where I left off, and after a while it got to be too much.
Old 12.06.2008, 12:17 AM   #15
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Here is one I'm ashamed that I'm including: The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon by Washington Irving. The FIRST book I can remember reading was the Legend of Sleepy Hollow in the first grade, but I've never read the whole book that contains it. I've attempted it a few times but the early 19th century language is so florid and eloquent that the reading goes at a snails pace. I mean, I consider myself very literate but I still can't read at a normal pace with his language.

from The Legend of Sleepy Hollow:
"
This rantipole hero had for some time singled out the blooming
Katrina for the object of his uncouth gallantries, and, though
his amorous toyings were something like the gentle caresses and
endearments of a bear, yet it was whispered that she did not
altogether discourage his hopes. Certain it is, his advances were
signals for rival candidates to retire who felt no inclination to
cross a line in his amours; insomuch, that when his horse was
seen tied to Van Tassel's paling on a Sunday night, a sure sign
that his master was courting--or, as it is termed,
"sparking"--within, all other suitors passed by in despair and
carried the war into other quarters."

And that is fairly straightforward when his descriptions of the New York countryside are being read.
Old 12.06.2008, 12:17 AM   #16
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie

Can't remember the details, but there was a list of the books most frequently bought but not read.

1) Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
2) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
3) Ulysses by James Joyce
4) Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières
5) Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
7) The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
8) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
9) The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
10) Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky

Not reading that is a huge crime in itself
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 01:39 AM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Umberto Eco's 'Foucault's Pendulum'

I got about two thirds of the way through it, feeling quite pleased with myself that I was managing to stay with what was generally thought of as a 'challenging' read. And then it just went utterly bonkers and I realised that I actually didn't have a clue what I'd been reading. I put it down in disgust and have never finished it since.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 02:00 AM   #18
pbradley
invito al cielo

Oh, I didn't finish Umberto Eco's Baudolino, though I wanted to.
Old 12.06.2008, 02:17 AM   #19
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I tend not to finish novels because of outside (usually work or study related) circumstances rather than because I don't like them. I often find it hard starting a novel these days, simply because I know something will come along that means I'm going to have to stop reading it before it ends.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2008, 09:11 AM   #20
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I tend not to finish novels because of outside (usually work or study related) circumstances rather than because I don't like them. I often find it hard starting a novel these days, simply because I know something will come along that means I'm going to have to stop reading it before it ends.

I rarely pick up novels for very similar reasons. I mostly enjoy novels, but I always feel that I shoud be keeping up with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi
I have yet to finish Middlemarch by George Eliot.

I read that in the summer between finishing school and starting college. From what I remember, it gets very turgid indeed about halfway through. I doubt I'd re-read it, so I wouldn't feel guilty about not finishing it if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth