Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim in Vancouver
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.02.2024, 06:59 AM   #1
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Kim play in Vancouver on Friday. First time I've seen her play music since my last Sonic Youth show 14 years ago. She's got a really solid band, it was cool to hear the beats reproduced (mostly) live. That drummer has a lot going on!

She played THE COLLECTIVE front to back except for, oddly, one of my faves "Tree House". In its place was an improvisation (I scoped out setlist.fm - somebody confirmed with the bass player). She also didn't do a second "BYE BYE" like I've seen in recent set lists. Then we got a few from NO HOME RECORD - though not "Sketch Artist" and "Murdered Out", surprisingly. The songs from the first record do sound better with the live band, and I was looking forward to hearing how those two in particular might sound. I figured they were potential encores...

She closed with "Grass Jeans", which I thought was new but apparently came out a few years ago. Oops. Lights on, no encore. That was a bit of a shock - the show had started early, even. Oh well - they packed a lot into the 70-minute set, but I saw Pavement do a 70-minute headlining set at a festival the next night.

She didn't play guitar on everything, but she played enough (and her other guitarist sounds great!). There were some nice noise interludes, and I think she had a separate effects board for her voice, which was pretty cool. Seemed to read most of the lyrics from her music stand. Given that I never get to see ex-Sonic projects, I'm delighted to have had the opportunity, but something about it felt weird. I can't quite put my finger on it, and it could certainly just be me, in a very strange headspace these days. Still, awesome band, very big sound (the bassist and her synth are groundshaking), and if you like THE COLLECTIVE (which I do, very much), I encourage you to see her if she comes your way. Which you probably would anyway. But hey, content!

Man I write like shit
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2024, 08:30 PM   #2
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
yeah Sarah Register (of Talk Normal fame) is an outstanding guitarist, Kim's whole band is so flicking good, Madi Vogt is such a steady drummer and sets the vibe so well

Camilla Charlesworth might be the secret weapon of those live shows, she has done a lot of live bass guitar for many artists of late like Lenny Kravitz, Maggie Rogers and others, such a deep groove

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbJycmUOGw_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

^ some footage of Kim I took from 2 years ago at the 930 Club
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2024, 04:49 AM   #3
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you for their names!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth