Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Musical Ideas
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.08.2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Many people ask the question "pretty much everything's been done in music, where do we expand?".

What measures have been taken to create new music ideas? One of the one's I've heard is the Thai Elephant Orchestra. It's a band entirely composed of elephants, and their stuff really isn't all that bad.
Old 12.08.2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Is there anything left to make? Because it does seem that everything has already been done before. But I might be wrong of course as usual.
Old 12.08.2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
It just seems that genre's like Noise can be so extreme that it would be really difficult to do something new. Like, we have people walking into sewers and taking 15 minute samples of it, and going onto stage and performing it by holding a playing cassette player.

I see it like an alchemist. If there was a potion-maker that's tested every ingredient in the world, the only way to figure out how to make new ingredients is by mixing them together, but they're still just a mixed version of the original ingredients. Every once in a while, they can find a chemical reaction that works really well, and those would represent the Good Bands. But really, how many bands do you know that have absolutely no influence from other artists?

I think it would be interesting to hear music from a person that grew up as a musician, but never heard a single song in his/her life.
Old 12.08.2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
He would probably make armpit farts and call it music.
Noise yeeaeh!
Old 12.08.2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
He would probably make amrpit farts and call it music.
Noise yeeaeh!

haha, I was looking more towards the "grinding a rock against a camel" side
Old 12.08.2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Trasher02
invito al cielo

The next music genre = disco/experimental/blackmetal
Old 12.08.2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Inhuman
invito al cielo

ha, Post-indie Disco-core. I've seen "Undercore" once, I laughed.
Old 12.08.2006, 11:01 AM   #8
Trasher02
invito al cielo

I'm using my new genre to start a band called the Black Lollypops.
Who joins?
Old 12.08.2006, 11:03 AM   #9
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Sure, I'll make an insturment that produces distorted cat meows following a disco beat.
Old 12.09.2006, 01:29 AM   #10
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Futuroid
The actually emergent or unforeheard elements in music.
(Why not call this ‘modernist”? Well, Modernism is itself a style, a period-bound thing to the point where there is such a thing as retro-modernism… Not all futuroid things are going to manifest as stark/lacking ornament/bleak/brutal/abstract/functional/minimalist, i.e. the clichés of modernism…. For instance breakbeat science as it evolved turned into a kind of rhythmic baroque, and wildstyle graffiti, while futuroid and futuristic, was not Modernist in that style-defined sense of stark etc).

To map this onto the old Raymond Williams residual/emergent dichotomy, most musics that are any good or at all enjoyable or have any impact on the wider culture are going to involve a mixture of futuroid and traditional. A wholly Futuroid music would probably be as indigestible as Marinetti’s proposed Italo-Futurist replacement for pasta--a dish of perfumed sand.

Finally, “futuroid” is not solely a property of electronic music or computer-based music… To pick only the most consternating example, I would say that the style of guitar-playing developed by the Edge in the early days of U2 (“I Will Follow” to “With or Without You”) was as futuroid as anything done by most electropop artists at the time… furthermore that the futuroid in music can exist without any accompanying trappings of the futuristic either in sound or imagery

PS As I finish this I’m listening to the last track on 8-Bit Operators, an 8-bit tribute to the music of Kraftwerk… it's a version of “Man Machine” by gwEm and Counter Reset that is either live or simulated-live … the shaky-middle-class-English-voiced parody-MC calls out “alright Bagleys, how do you feel out there this evening… speak to me Bagleys [massive crowd cheer] …we want to say a big shout out to Kraftwerk and all the ravers in the world…” (Bagleys being this old British Rail depot turned dance venue near King's Cross which is
where in 93 I went to one of the first jungle-as-Jungle raves… and now I think about it, they had an old skool room even then…). But yeah, talk about retro-futurism! The music--sort of techo filtered through an indie-rock lo-fi amateurism and archness--is actually kinda like how I thought Nu Rave would sound. The track ends--“Easy my fellow junglist warriors, until the next time, gwEm and Counter Reset, out of here”--and I don’t know how to feel…

PPS and what do you know, in marvellous synchrony, Dorian Lynskey asks
whatever happened to the future?

posted by Simon 12:50 PM

blimey, Battle of the Pazzes!

it's a bit like that period in the.... 14th Century was it?... when there were two Popes.

(because i gather the Voice is going to be doing P&J as per usual)

i know Matos wouldn't embark on this without the Dean's blessing; i wonder if he's going to ask him to do one of his epic surveys of the Year in Music*?

* a grim task indeed this year where everybody, but everybody i know--including matos himself, usually a poptimistic sort--seems to be agreed that twas verily the shitest, dullest, nothing-a-gwan year they can remember

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 01:33 AM   #11
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
how many modern bands do you think ask this exact question? music is what you make it and progression (NOT PROG) is always on the rise in many forms, new ideas surely spring up every single day so all of you should not worry. there will always be someone to fuck shit up and make it their own, guaranteed.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 02:29 AM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Yea, all people of the musical realms, The True Light of The White Album will point the way. Listen. Study. Replicate. Discard. Make Anew.

Forever and Ever,

me

P.S. You can moonlight with some VU as you please or your schedule permits. You can listen to Robert Johnson on holidays.

P.S.S. John Coltrane is permitted on Christmas day. You can listen to whatever you want on New Year's Day.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 02:44 AM   #13
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
Seriously... Oldies are the new wave of music. Noise has been done, and for the most part it's boring as fuck. When you try to deliberately push music to the next frontier, you end up setting it back. When you do what you want, and don't think about some bigger picture, you are the future of music - no matter what it sounds like.
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 02:47 AM   #14
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
How about 50's psychedellic pop-rock?

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 08:37 AM   #15
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Music Music. Really top instrumental shit, like Pet Sounds without the words.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 10:55 AM   #16
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with Nature Scene, you can only TRY so to make something new and
and unprecedented so much, then it becomes thought out and unoriginal.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 11:02 AM   #17
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
lets just give up then and play some mozart.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2006, 08:24 AM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
A band where everything played is just harmonics.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 10:42 AM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
This topic annoys me. Thinking about music in terms of its 'avant-garde-ness' is ridiculous, and unhelpful. Music is, predominantly, an organic social event/ process, not something that's contrived. For me, the most interesting 'far-out' stuff, aesthetically as well as intelectually, at the moment, is spectralism, but even that's clearly a dead-end of sticking more and more intervals into an octave (cf Radelescu) and the 'man-machine' synthesis promised by futurism (near the begining of the last century). It's more important that people continue to be creative, and do things that interest them than it is for people to contrive a 'new' music. Most musicians, nearly all musicians, are too stupid to contrive something genuinely new. That doesn't mean that they can't do something good. For instance - the Ramones. Idiots, but great tunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2006, 10:46 AM   #20
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Music is, predominantly, an organic social event/ process, not something that's contrived. For me, the most interesting 'far-out' stuff, aesthetically as well as intelectually, at the moment, is spectralism, but even that's clearly a dead-end of sticking more and more intervals into an octave (cf Radelescu) and the 'man-machine' synthesis promised by futurism (near the begining of the last century).

My brain hurts already.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth