Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Medieval Cathedrals: Their Significance in the Development of the Western World
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.19.2009, 02:11 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I'm an american, we don't have many cathedrals, as such they naturally fascinate me. You Euro SYG boardies should have more to say then me..

As I have become a more devout Christian I am especially attracted to them, but as a historian I am beyond impressed with their significant impact on the development of the Western world..

(by the way, this is NOT A CUT AND PASTE THREAD, these are original responses)

for example:

Romanesque Era: 900-1100

-Cathedrals were initially built to support the large pilgrimage networks that criss-crossed Europe before the period of proto-urbanization (i.e, enormous public works projects)

-Pilgrimage networks interconnected the politics, cultures and economies of Europe spurring development, it was the tourism of the middle ages and like tourism today, was a particularly large source of income and commerce. The Crusades were not holy wars, they were commercial wars to control the pilgrimage sites of the 'holy lands' and also topple Byzantine superiority which is why during the 4th crusade they scrapped a plan for Jerusalem and instead pillaged and destroyed Constantinople, the major European rival to the West.

-Monasteries were also the major sources of patronage for this period of massive Cathedral building, as monasteries were the source of intellectual pursuits, economic development, and preservation of culture. Monasteries became the first Universities of Europe

-The work required to build these projects directly brought about proto-urbanization in Europe, as all workers and funding poured into the developing cities along the pilgrimage routes

Gothic Age: 1100-1400

-As the small towns became small cities, Cathedrals became civic centers of commerce, public festivities, politics and culture. The Cathedral was where children were baptized, holidays on the calendar were celebrated, the young were married, and the dead commemorated. From the cradle to the grave, the cathedral was the center of life in Europe. Further, its massive size and scale meant it was literally the physical center of the town and was a constantly visible symbol.

-Cathedrals were very democratic in the sense that they provided the common, poor and everyday people direct access to regal, elegant and truly beautiful public spaces previously reserved for the wealthy and elite. They were the museums of the middle ages.

-As public works projects, these contributed to urbanization, centralization and development of Europe as people mutually contributed labor, capital and resources to build and maintain Cathedrals.

-Cathedrals led to advancement in architecture which directly became the 'sky-scapers' and other large urban public buildings of the 16th and 17th centuries.

Discuss/Contribute:

Gothic Architecture

Romanesque Architecture

Chartes (France)

Leon (Spain)

Salisbury (England)

Cologne (Germany)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 02:14 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

I retract, its not that Americans don't have cathedrals, we actually have a shitload of them.. but they do not have the same historical significance as the European cathedrals.. they are a recreation after-the-fact, and as such are a bit less inspiring. It is the difference between looking at the Pantheon and the Union Bank building on market street in San Francisco (which look identical, however one is 2000 years old and the direct inspiration of the other )

Washington, DC

Oakland

San Francisco

Old 09.19.2009, 02:29 PM   #3
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
-Cathedrals led to advancement in architecture which directly became the 'sky-scapers' and other large urban public buildings of the 16th and 17th centuries.
You mean like the Tower of Babel?

My parents are very fond of cathedrals, churches (much more than what occurs inside).
When I was a kid, they forced me to visit dozens of them, and now I hate them. It's not ugly really, but they're all the same. (except the sagrada familia in Barcelona, this one is cool!)

gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 02:33 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
You mean like the Tower of Babel?

My parents are very fond of cathedrals, churches (much more than what occurs inside).
When I was a kid, they forced me to visit dozens of them, and now I hate them. It's not ugly really, but they're all the same. (except the sagrada familia in Barcelona, this one is cool!)

True and false. They are remarkable buildings in and of themselves, I admit many are a bit gaudy, I prefer the Romanesque to the Gothic, the difference in style and impact is like the difference between mushrooms and acid, one is mellow, simplistic, natural, the other can be a visual monstrosity of excess.

But I was also discussing the historical impact of these buildings as a major source of our modern life, aside from their aesthetics.

The Tower of Babel connections is extremely interesting.. the motif in the bible of this tower is the corrupting influence of modernization/urbanization. Essentially the Tower of Babel story is the Bible's version of the modernismo literary movement of South America with authors like Garcia-Marquez who criticised the negative effects of the urbanization of SA countries.. The Tower of Babel story attributes the rise of the city as the rise of moral, spiritual and cultural corruption and decadence.. interesting analogy with cathedrals in the sense of Cathedrals being a driving force behind Medieval urbanization..

Old 09.19.2009, 03:16 PM   #5
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I love Cathedrals. The gaudier, the better.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Canterbury Cathedral is nice.

Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 05:51 PM   #7
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The Tower of Babel connections is extremely interesting.. the motif in the bible of this tower is the corrupting influence of modernization/urbanization. Essentially the Tower of Babel story is the Bible's version of the modernismo literary movement of South America with authors like Garcia-Marquez who criticised the negative effects of the urbanization of SA countries.. The Tower of Babel story attributes the rise of the city as the rise of moral, spiritual and cultural corruption and decadence.. interesting analogy with cathedrals in the sense of Cathedrals being a driving force behind Medieval urbanization..

they were also symbols of the spiritual corruption of the curch
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 05:56 PM   #8
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
love cathedrals/old churches

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2009, 06:58 PM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not so keen on cathedrals, but some very old churches can be really interesting.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2009, 10:37 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm not so keen on cathedrals, but some very old churches can be really interesting.

1100s

800s

Old 09.21.2009, 09:05 AM   #11
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
THis thread is perfect for my interior designer ass here is my favorite cathedral though it is Art Nouveau not mideval. By the way, I bet you didn't know that during the mideval times the church would sell vouchers that would grant the one purchasing it a pass straight to heaven. This is how they raised money to build these beautiful structures.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2009, 09:08 AM   #12
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses

Old 09.21.2009, 09:21 AM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Chaco Canyon:

A cathedral of the american desert, built during the 12th century it was one of the largest pilgrimage sites in all of the Americas, its hundreds of kivas could house tens of thousands of worshipers. Initially it was believed to be a trading center until they couldn't find any evidence of household refuse, so they realized it must have been a ceremonial center. The walls of the buildings are lined up perfectled with the both the solstices and the equinox, and they are also the ONLY monuments in the world discoverd to be also aligned with the moon.

Old 09.21.2009, 09:55 AM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, I posted the Templo Expiatorio de la Sagrada Familia, but deleted it.

the 19th/20th century wasn't medieval.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2009, 10:07 AM   #15
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

I know it's not mideval. Didn't you see my disclaimer "This thread is perfect for my interior designer ass here is my favorite cathedral though it is Art Nouveau not mideval. " I took classes on this shit in college man.

Old 09.21.2009, 10:16 AM   #16
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Here are a few of the cathedrals of my town Jacksonville, FL. They are not mideval, but follow the tradition.

"Immaculate Conception" Church is in French Gothic style and the Episcopalian Church is English Gothic style

Old 09.21.2009, 10:55 AM   #17
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
i love how the sagrada familia changes all the time. you can go back every year and it will always be different.

my house is just not in this picture, it's a little more to the left... this is antwerp cathedral, what i see from my bathroom window in the morning it was supposed to have two towers but they never finished it because it would get too heavy and sink into the ground like the pisa tower. it's quite reassuring to hear the bells from time to time.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2009, 11:44 AM   #18
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

^ that is just beautiful! I think I heard that story about the towers in design history class. All the churches were trying to outbuild each other or something so they kept adding more shit on.

Old 09.21.2009, 11:48 AM   #19
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i come from the town tht has this:

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2009, 02:47 PM   #20
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

The Crusades were not holy wars, they were commercial wars to control the pilgrimage sites of the 'holy lands' and also topple Byzantine superiority which is why during the 4th crusade they scrapped a plan for Jerusalem and instead pillaged and destroyed Constantinople, the major European rival to the West.

You mean Constantinople was a major power to the east.
Anyway, great thread. I love cathedrals despite being an atheist. Nothing being built nowadays comes close.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth