Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page This is a question for EVERYONE here
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.03.2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Is there a cut-off age where one no longer understands that if someone is wearing a pair of headphones they are most likely listening to something and probably do not want to be bothereed and very likely cannot hear you anyways?
I ask this because, after a LONG time, I have a brand new phone from my cell company that has a 1 gigabyte memory card to hold music files. It comes with nifty earbuds and I have been enjoying the music in my headphones as so many of you have written about before on this forum.
I have had it for a week now and it never ever fails, when someone older than around age 40 sees me they say hi and start talking even though they can see that I have headphones on andthere is a wire leading to the phone in my pocket. IT ANNOYS ME NO END.
I am not listening to it while others are around. I am talking on my lunch break, sitting eating my lunch a nd reading the paper, people just start regaling me with fucking tales of shit I do not want to know about nor give a flying fuck about. This happens even after I pull out my earbud and tell them "sorry, I did not hear you. i am listening to music." as soon as I put the earbud back in they start talking again!
People younger than around 35 say hi, notice I have headphones and leave me be once I say hi back.
Walkmen (portable cassette players for you little baby sonic fans out there) were around starting in the very early 80's. I know these fuckers know what they are. why do they not leave me alone? shit.

It is bad enough when someone interrupted me before when I was OBVIOUSLY involved in readingthe newspaper, but now I read and listen to music and these fuckers will not quit!

what is your experience with this? is it just old people? or are people just blind and they do not notice the earphones? shit. it is driving me crazy.
Old 04.03.2008, 01:36 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
it's texas, you're allowed to shoot them!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 01:38 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Just don't fuck 'em in the ass. It's illegal.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I want to kick them in the neck to keep them quiet. the sound of their blood gurgling in their throats would be soft. it would not bother my rocking.
Old 04.03.2008, 01:42 PM   #5
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
old people might think those are hear-aid thingies like theirs, and feel some sort of connection with you, maybe ?

well, my experience is quite limited, just a few times people bothered me while listening to music on earphones, but beside buses and trains I listen to music mostly while walking at a pretty fast pace or when I ride my bike, in both situations I wouldn't probably be stopped by people to have a chat in any case... on trains it happened a bunch of times, I usually take out the earphones making an expression that should express in a quite obvious way that they are bothering me, but I always listen what people has to say... maybe that's becuz once I almost died with my earphones on, what they are tryin' to say might save my life.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 01:52 PM   #6
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Or how about this, yr listening to yr music through yr stereo. Home, car, whatever. & yr very into what yr hearing. It's obvious in that you have yr eyes are closed & our moving w/ the music. You DON"T want to be distrubed from any outside source, beacuse it ruins yr focus on what is playing. Then of course what happens, someone starts talking to you. Similar to what Rob Instigator was asking, but a different scenario.

Don't you hate that shit? Anybody?
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 01:53 PM   #7
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Well I almost always listen to music on headphones so that probably does not count, as if they couldn't talk to me while I'm on headphones no one would be able to talk to me at all, but my friends always come and talk to me while I listen to music on headphones. That doesn't really bother me though, I generally keep one in an ear and listen to them with my second ear.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Or how about this, yr listening to yr music through yr stereo. Home, car, whatever. & yr very into what yr hearing. It's obvious in that you have yr eyes are closed & our moving w/ the music. You DON"T want to be distrubed from any outside source, beacuse it ruins yr focus on what is playing. Then of course what happens, someone starts talking to you. Similar to what Rob Instigator was asking, but a different scenario.

Don't you hate that shit? Anybody?

I fucking hate that shit. I hate it so bad. I ahte it that after I lower or pause my music to hear their bullshit (a favor to them in my eyes) they proceed to drag on and on as if they did ME the favor. fucking assholes.
Old 04.03.2008, 01:58 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Well I almost always listen to music on headphones so that probably does not count, as if they couldn't talk to me while I'm on headphones no one would be able to talk to me at all, but my friends always come and talk to me while I listen to music on headphones. That doesn't really bother me though, I generally keep one in an ear and listen to them with my second ear.

but that would not qualify as your "alone time" like a one hour lunch break in the middel of a hectic workday you know?
Old 04.03.2008, 01:59 PM   #10
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but that would not qualify as your "alone time" like a one hour lunch break in the middel of a hectic workday you know?

when i worked at an office i got the fuck away, FAR, i went to a park.

i didn't like those fuckers. they talked about TV shows from the previous night, shit like that. i didn't socialize with them. eventually i got fired.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 02:04 PM   #11
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
I fucking hate that shit. I hate it so bad. I ahte it that after I lower or pause my music to hear their bullshit (a favor to them in my eyes) they proceed to drag on and on as if they did ME the favor. fucking assholes.

They say music is a universal language, I just thnk some know the language better than others. It's good to know that we are the ones who know better.
-George Carlin
Old 04.03.2008, 02:05 PM   #12
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I know, that's why I say it probably didn't count
Old 04.03.2008, 02:20 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

From now on I will go to the park across the street to eat, until it gets ridiculosuly hot, as it does hetre in Houston
Old 04.03.2008, 02:21 PM   #14
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
They say music is a universal language, I just thnk some know the language better than others. It's good to know that we are the ones who know better.
What you've just said is beautiful, marleypumpkin, you know?
Old 04.03.2008, 02:31 PM   #15
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
What you've just said is beautiful, marleypumpkin, you know?

As w/ music, the words were already there, they just needed arranging, I was simply playing the part of the composer.

BTW, thank you. I appreciate that.
-George Carlin
Old 04.03.2008, 03:34 PM   #16
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
people dont like being isolated or let out and to see someone with headphones on is a sign that they must intrude and shre with this seemingly isolated individual... its like a tribal thing, its human nature to interact and communicate and some folk find the use of headphones in public either a cry for help or just plain annoying... what they dont realise is that the person with the headphones is happy and not retreating into the foetal position and sucking his thumb like a lost soul in the woods, with no compass or mobile phone, at night, in the rain, with a gun...

as cartman once wisely said "poor people live in clusters"
Old 04.03.2008, 03:48 PM   #17
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i think most of you are possibly too nice abot people disturbing you with there menial bullshit.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 03:50 PM   #18
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I have to work with these people. I, like most people, spend more time here at the office thn I do at home if you do not count sleeping. I kind of have to bhe polite and "nice"
fuck these assholes. I am gonna start rocking LOUDER and pretend to not hear them.
Old 04.03.2008, 03:53 PM   #19
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
35. That's the cutoff time for many things, including wearing jeans, understanding about ear buds, and drinking more than one beer in a sitting.
Old 04.03.2008, 03:54 PM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

man, I am almost there. I hit the "halfway to 70" (that is what I am calling it) point in 5 months.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth