Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Eye Contact (feat. Matt Heyner of NNCK)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.06.2007, 10:14 AM   #1
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
saw this trio lastnite and they were pretty damn good, Heyner playing electric bass and rocking it in an awesome black metal style, picked up their disc which is pretty good but seeing them live was even better (though i think they played just a tad too long as it there second set got abit repetitive) anyone else herad them yet?

also picked up Malkuth (Heyner's black metal band w/ a fellow nnck member) which i am trying to get into, its not as Heavy as i thought it would be and i'm not much into the "black metal"...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2007, 11:08 AM   #2
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen them once and have them on my list to see at Zebulon at no cost 9/13...its free music with influences of jazz but not exclusively free jazz. Matt Lavelle is a very crisp trumpet player, one of my favorite NYC musicians these days. (I really wish he would record his Trumpet Nemesis project). Their CD is on my short list! Ryan Sawyer seems to have the right idea as well.

I saw a 'black metal' band Heyner was drumming for (assume its Malkuth) last year. Horrible experience. 'black metal' is more of a self limiting genre parody than disco!

Usually when Matt is involved with something its a signal that it is good but Malkuth, no, dreadful. But Eye Contact, yeah, good stuff....
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2007, 12:21 PM   #3
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
I've seen them once and have them on my list to see at Zebulon at no cost 9/13...its free music with influences of jazz but not exclusively free jazz. Matt Lavelle is a very crisp trumpet player, one of my favorite NYC musicians these days. (I really wish he would record his Trumpet Nemesis project). Their CD is on my short list! Ryan Sawyer seems to have the right idea as well.

I saw a 'black metal' band Heyner was drumming for (assume its Malkuth) last year. Horrible experience. 'black metal' is more of a self limiting genre parody than disco!

Usually when Matt is involved with something its a signal that it is good but Malkuth, no, dreadful. But Eye Contact, yeah, good stuff....

yeah Matt was great but for awhile i thought it wasn't working, what he was bringing into the whole scheme of sound, because Matt and Ryan where starting to gel with this heavy thing (though it took about a good ten minutes into their set, at first i had suspected it would be this awful thign where it be disjointed but as with alot of improv it takes time for things to warm up) but Lavelle had this different conceptual sound going on that countered the bass and percussion but in a way where it all came together in a really interesting and different way. Heyner started doing his theatrical antics that i assume he's known for doing in some settings (mostly NNCK, though i have unfortunately never seen them live) by throwing his long locks in front of his face, wearing sunglases and putting on a homemade cap made out of two 8x11 sheets of paper.

hmm, I assumed that Matt played bass in Malkuth... yeah i have the same thoughts on black metal though i do like some doom and thrash. still not too impressed w/ the cdr... as i had different expectations oh well.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2007, 01:06 PM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
hmm, I assumed that Matt played bass in Malkuth...

at the gig he was def. drumming.

I've also seen him play electric guitar and also electric bass in other projects.

Really one of our finest musicians.

I'm glad you posted about these guys, I tried to find their tour dates for the midwest boardies but none of their myspace sites list'm.
Old 09.19.2007, 11:29 AM   #5
tesla69
Banned

Saw this project with Heyner last night, good stuff, the bowed bass + scraped drum interplay with the horns was really cool. west coasters should check this out...

SLAMMIN' THE INFINITE TOUR
Steve Swell, Sabir Mateen, Matt Heyner, Michael Wimberly
October 2, New Orleans, LA
October 4, Houston, TX
October 6, Bakersfield, CA
October 8 San Franscisco, CA
October 10, Portland, OR
October 11, Vancouver, BC
October 12, Edmonton, AB
WE HAVE ADDED A GIG ON OCTOBER 9TH IN EUGENE, OR!!!!

then on Oct 19 we get Heyner and Mateen back in NYC playing in Test at the LIving Theater!
Old 12.11.2007, 03:02 PM   #6
tesla69
Banned

eye Contact play for free at Zebulon on Thursday.

I was looking at Matt Lavelle's myspace and he now has the legal authority to marry people.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth