Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Supreme Court turns back the clock 100 years AGAIN!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2013, 09:01 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
So first the Supreme Court decides that corporate money is somehow an individual person, negating over one hundred years of American law which regulates the greed of corporate and business influence on American political structures, both local and national. Low and behold, the 2012 elections were even MORE expensive than the 2008 elections, which cost upwards of $2 BILLION dollars. Sighs.

NOW? The Court just decided that the 1965 Voter Rights Act is irrelevant and redundant. What? Excuse me? Have they not been paying attention to the all the racist legislation pending in Texas, Alabama, and Florida, ALL states governed by the section 5 clause of that Act? Further, did they not realize that out of 800,000 official requests for voter law changes in the past years, ONLY EIGHTY were rejected which means that the Act has NOT been discriminatory or restricting to states under section 5, rather, those have been empowered 799,920 times to change their voter laws as they see fit? How is that exactly cumbersome government intrusion into states' business?!

Fuck that. Jim Crow is coming back y'all. The Court made these same kinds of blunders in the 1850s, 1870s, 1910s, and now 2010s which are what opened the door for Jim Crow in the first place. When we teach American students about the history of Jim Crow and racist laws, we use the Court decisions which enabled these as a chronological marker and bullet point. These past two Court decisions will in a few short years mark that same transition. Maybe its not black and white anymore, but racist laws are all over the books. We're not stupid.

Oh yeah, its not that I believe in voting. Voting is a crock of shit. Its that I'm not blind, I can smell some racist bullshit when I see it.

Watch. In 2014 the state of Florida will turn back the clock 100 years when they simultaneously exonerate (if not vindicate in the eyes of a lot of racist people) Zimmerman for lynching Trayvon Martin AND also enact racist voter ID laws and racist gerrymandering of local and national districts within that state.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 09:25 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i don't know that jim crow is coming back (or could come back). looks like the big issue is that of redistrictng according to this article i began to read earlier (but never finished, so i don't know categorically that's what he meant)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-need-to-know/
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2013, 12:42 AM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't know that jim crow is coming back (or could come back). looks like the big issue is that of redistrictng according to this article i began to read earlier (but never finished, so i don't know categorically that's what he meant)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-need-to-know/

For the past years racial legislation has been creeping in. In all started here in California with Prop 187, and ever since then, "conservatives" across the nation have been gerrymandering and implementing racial legislation (this includes things like the 3 strikes laws as well, "zero-tolerance" in education, the increase in "red-lining" in housing and infrastructure development)

Lets face it. Over the past twenty years, certain aspects of America reflect more of the same racist sentiments as the Jim Crow era than they don't. Arizona has become the punching bag for this, but as "brown" folks take over the agricultural work in the Southern states, we see this racial backlash. Its not a coincidence. We had fucking SLAVERY in this country for Christ's sake, but it wasn't until after the 1910s/20s when black folks starting moving to Northern cities that Jim Crow popped up its ugly head, not just in the South, but "Northern" cities as well. In 1920, Los Angeles was one of the largest "all-White" metropolitan areas in the country, and had as fierce a segregation as Memphis or Atlanta. Jim Crow developed as a retaliation against an increasingly de-racialized society. As black folks found increasing opportunities, white power structures evolved the distinctions of social segregation to an exponential level, entirely to preserve the shambles of white privelege which were disappearing as black folks found better economic opportunities. During slavery black people actually had more social mobility than they did in the early-20th century at the height of Jim Crow. That is what I mean by its coming back. Racialized attitudes, sentiments, and laws are being implemented to try and quell the growing equality, artificially imposing the vestiges of inequality as a retaliatory backlash.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2013, 04:24 AM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.gregpalast.com/ku-klux-ko...e-harris-acts/
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2013, 08:49 AM   #5
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Koch money behind this too

[EDIT] But then they struck down DOMA, many people here must believe that is a good thing.

I say, becareful for what you wish.

... Edith Windsor, a New York widow who was sent a $363,000 estate tax bill by the Internal Revenue Service after her wife died in 2009...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth