Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The collection of vinyl nerds that post here
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2009, 07:01 PM   #1
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Can you give me a crash course?

I'm thinking Rob and TP, but there are probably more of you.

I've just had a positive email interaction with someone from one of my dream retail jobs, and would love to improve my chances. thnx.
Old 10.16.2009, 07:45 PM   #2
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Drone has a real interest in vinyl/leather-related BDSM.
Old 10.16.2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
ive got a vinyl butt mesh

anygoodtoya
Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2009, 07:47 PM   #4
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Mr. Delights, you're quite the queen.
Old 10.16.2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
What type of info are you looking for?
Old 10.17.2009, 06:10 AM   #6
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Drone has a real interest in vinyl/leather-related BDSM.

I'm more into latex myself.
Old 10.17.2009, 06:14 AM   #7
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
What type of info are you looking for?

Anything that would be helpful really. Sure I've been around records, I have a few. But.. I don't actually know... a lot.. I've never had the money to invest in collecting even though I'd love to, so I'm kind of blank when it comes to how I'm supposed to look after them.

The store is one of the older second hand dealers of vinyl/CD's in my city and despite telling her how I felt and being told it isn't their #1 priority when they hire people, I'd like to not be a complete newb if I end up at an interview.
Old 10.17.2009, 10:44 AM   #8
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
you don't need any special info. collecting is easy and simple.

decide what bands you like enough to want to own everything of. visit record shops or buy over the internet.

easy. :/
musefreek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
1.Cleaning And Maintenance
A.) Always try to hold the actual record by the dead wax, this is the first quarter to a half inch of the outside of the record that has no grooves. Once you introduce the oils from your hands into the grooves, you alter the sound, however minimal it may be.
B.) When cleaning the record without a proper brush or solution, the best alternative is a bottle of water, one drop of dial handsoap and a tad of rubbing alcohol. Be advised, this solution is only suitable for 33 1/3 and 45 RPM records, when cleaning 78 RPM records, use a special 78 cleaner. Always wipe with grooves in a circular motion and if you have no brush a microfiber towel will suffice.

2. Storage
A. Records that are worth keeping are worth being stored the right way. If you come across a old album (and you will) that has no inner sleeve and is just sitting inside the cover, then get a paper sleeve, put the record in it and make sure the opening of the sleeve is facing up, so the album doesn't slip around and/or slip out. If the record is valuable enough or you want to maintain the quality of the cover, grab a poly-sleeve, the clear plastic slip on sleeve that helps a bunch. Technically you want the opening of the poly to face up when you pick up the album.
B.) Do not stack records in a pile. Its prone to cause warping and is generally not a good idea. Always try to store the albums like a book on a bookshelf, even if they are just sitting on the ground for a while waiting to be stocked in. Plus, its easier to dig through a pile when you can flip through instead of having to move records off the top like a deck of cards.
45's are kinda the exception to this rule, since a lot of times they don't have sleeves to rest on, but you still want to be aware that they need a sleeve and a little box to call home.

Well, thats all for now, hope you get the job. I was going to get into grading, but thats way too much shit to cover and far too many ''standards'' to abide by.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2009, 11:10 AM   #10
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I love people suggesting stuff unrelated to the thread...

Anyway, yes, some other boarders should be able to "educate" you a bit on the matter, but lemme tell you something:
Don't expose yourself to a potential "boss" telling him/her your supposed weaknesses. You should sound like the best possible choice for them.
And if they like you enough they might let some minor errors/stupid moves through once on jobsite, instead of thinking "ha, she's really lame, even lamer than she told us at first.".

kay?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2009, 01:11 PM   #11
musefreek
bad moon rising

musefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's assesmusefreek kicks all y'all's asses
ok, just reread the originial tread, and with that in my, i totally got the wrong end of the stick and as such made a total ass out of myself.

lolzzz....
musefreek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2009, 08:27 PM   #12
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by musefreek
you don't need any special info. collecting is easy and simple.

decide what bands you like enough to want to own everything of. visit record shops or buy over the internet.

easy. :/

yeh I dont think you understood my thread. but thanks! :P
Old 10.18.2009, 08:31 PM   #13
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I love people suggesting stuff unrelated to the thread...

Anyway, yes, some other boarders should be able to "educate" you a bit on the matter, but lemme tell you something:
Don't expose yourself to a potential "boss" telling him/her your supposed weaknesses. You should sound like the best possible choice for them.
And if they like you enough they might let some minor errors/stupid moves through once on jobsite, instead of thinking "ha, she's really lame, even lamer than she told us at first.".

kay?

yeh, generally speaking I try not to speak up about that kind of thing. But I had written saying so after I read they employ 'experts' and she was kind enough to reply that this was not always the case...
Old 10.18.2009, 08:31 PM   #14
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
1.Cleaning And Maintenance
A.) Always try to hold the actual record by the dead wax, this is the first quarter to a half inch of the outside of the record that has no grooves. Once you introduce the oils from your hands into the grooves, you alter the sound, however minimal it may be.
B.) When cleaning the record without a proper brush or solution, the best alternative is a bottle of water, one drop of dial handsoap and a tad of rubbing alcohol. Be advised, this solution is only suitable for 33 1/3 and 45 RPM records, when cleaning 78 RPM records, use a special 78 cleaner. Always wipe with grooves in a circular motion and if you have no brush a microfiber towel will suffice.

2. Storage
A. Records that are worth keeping are worth being stored the right way. If you come across a old album (and you will) that has no inner sleeve and is just sitting inside the cover, then get a paper sleeve, put the record in it and make sure the opening of the sleeve is facing up, so the album doesn't slip around and/or slip out. If the record is valuable enough or you want to maintain the quality of the cover, grab a poly-sleeve, the clear plastic slip on sleeve that helps a bunch. Technically you want the opening of the poly to face up when you pick up the album.
B.) Do not stack records in a pile. Its prone to cause warping and is generally not a good idea. Always try to store the albums like a book on a bookshelf, even if they are just sitting on the ground for a while waiting to be stocked in. Plus, its easier to dig through a pile when you can flip through instead of having to move records off the top like a deck of cards.
45's are kinda the exception to this rule, since a lot of times they don't have sleeves to rest on, but you still want to be aware that they need a sleeve and a little box to call home.

Well, thats all for now, hope you get the job. I was going to get into grading, but thats way too much shit to cover and far too many ''standards'' to abide by.

thank you
Old 10.18.2009, 09:41 PM   #15
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
I have Surrealistic Pillow on mono. Somebody told me it was worth a couple hundred bucks. But who can trust hippie record store owners
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2009, 09:48 PM   #16
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandi
I have Surrealistic Pillow on mono. Somebody told me it was worth a couple hundred bucks. But who can trust hippie record store owners
lol. I see a ton of those in the use bins ranging from anywhere to $3.99 - $11.99. You should have sold it to the dumbass.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2009, 09:58 PM   #17
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
mid 80's bootlegs and sundazed reissues always check matrix #s. and spelling mistakes on the paste on sleeve. easy to know when you have a real one or not.
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth