Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Battle of the Bands #2
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.19.2008, 06:23 AM   #1
lechaoscestmoi
the destroyed room

lechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asseslechaoscestmoi kicks all y'all's asses
based on a thread by Kegmama which i thought was cool so i made another one

"Vote for your fav band below and if you feel inclined- tell me why! What is your fav album? Have you seen any of them live? Discuss their greatness please, etc. Ready. Go!"

The Cure vs. The Smiths

Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young

The Fall vs. Wire

Black Flag vs. Minor Threat

Melt-Banana vs. Lightning Bolt

Led Zeppelin vs. Black Sabbath

Dinosaur Jr vs. Pixies

Ramones vs. The Clash
lechaoscestmoi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 06:27 AM   #2
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Hahaha I was so thinking of bumping the first one the other day. I'll respond with the one's I'm fairly well familiar with:
Minor Threat
Led Zeppelin
Pixies (That one is hard to choose though)
Ramones (Ditto)
Old 07.19.2008, 06:33 AM   #3
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
The Cure vs. The Smiths - Pussy Galore

Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young - Wesley Willis

The Fall vs. Wire - William S. Burroughs

Black Flag vs. Minor Threat - Germs

Melt-Banana vs. Lightning Bolt - Jackson Pollock

Led Zeppelin vs. Black Sabbath - hashish

Dinosaur Jr vs. Pixies - scraping resin
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
The Cure vs. The Smiths
I love both bands, but I'll go with The Smiths because they're more consistent and have more classic songs.
Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young
Tie. I just discovered Neil Young, and I've known about Dylan for awhile, but I prefer it when his music is covered (The Byrds).
The Fall vs. Wire
The Fall. I'm only familiar with Wire's Pink Flag, and I have a few Fall albums so this one was easy.
Black Flag. I haven't heard Minor Threat, and I really like pre-Henry Rollins BF.
I haven't heard either.
Led Zeppelin. I haven't heard BS yet.
Dinosaur Jr vs. Pixies
Dinosaur Jr. I haven't heard the Pixies yet, and I know a few Dinosaur Jr songs.
Ramones vs. The Clash
Tie. The Ramones were the band that got me into music, and The Clash had two fantastic albums.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 07:01 AM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
the smiths
young
extremly close, but, the fall
black flag
lighning bolt
black sabbath
dino jr
ramones

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 07:10 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
While I didn't really understand why some of these bands were pitted against each other, I'll answer anyway.
The Smiths
Neil Young
The Fall
Minor Threat
Melt-Banana
Black Sabbath
Pixies
Ramones

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
The Cure
Neil Young

The Fall vs. Wire(dont know either one well enough to vote.)

Black Flag
Lightning Bolt
Black Sabbath
Dinosaur Jr
The Clash

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 02:28 PM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Cure vs. The Smiths
The Smiths, because for about three years they were my favourite band.

Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young

Dylan, because he has no equal in my mind.

The Fall vs. Wire
The Fall. Do I really have tyo bother even trying to say why?

Black flag, because MT never did anything as good as Damaged

Lightening Bolt, because they once cited a band i was in as an influence. I've never heard either though.

Black Sabbath, because they're heavier

Dinosaur Jr vs. Pixies

Dinosaur Jr, because I've never understood the whole Pixies thing one bit.

Ramones vs. The Clash

The Ramones, because no other band has ever come so close to perfection.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
The Cure vs. The Smiths
cure

Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young
dylan

The Fall vs. Wire
wire

black flag

melt banana

zeppelin

Dinosaur Jr vs. Pixies
dino jr

Ramones vs. The Clash
ramones
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 03:33 PM   #11
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Smiths
Young
the Fall
Minor Threat
Lightning Bolt
Black Sabbath
Dinosaur
Ramones

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 06:10 PM   #12
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
The Smiths- the cure have some good songs, but nothing that equals the queen is dead

Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young
cant decide, i love both.
The Fall vs. Wire
hmmm, probably the fall but just a little more. i know the fall better, and the fall released more great albums. but wires few great albums are some of the greatrst things that i have ever heard
probably minor threat a bit better
lighning bolt. melt banana are great, but lioghtning bolt wrote dead cowboyh which is one of the greatest songs ever
i know led zeppelin a but better, both are great
Dinosaur Jr vs. Pixies
not sure, the pixies were probably a bit more consistent.
Ramones vs. The Clash
ramones

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 06:18 PM   #13
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
The Cure vs. The Smiths
The Smiths because they were great and I never liked The Cure.

Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young
Don't like either.

The Fall vs. Wire
Wire without a doubt.

Black Flag (if you disregard everything after Damaged).

Both become tedious very quickly, but Melt Banana were good each time I've seen them live.

Don't like either.

Dinosaur Jr vs. Pixies
DJ because of You're Living All Over Me and because Pixies were shit.

Ramones vs. The Clash
The Clash without a doubt.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2008, 09:10 PM   #14
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
...Pixies were shit....
Old 07.19.2008, 09:12 PM   #15
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Pixies get compared to Dino way too much despite the fact that they are both way different.
IMO Built to Spill are closer to Dino's sound, while maintaining the catchy-ness of the Pixies

As for a band comparing to the Pixies, I'd say Pavement could be considered.
Old 07.20.2008, 09:33 AM   #16
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
The Cure vs. The Smiths I love both of them though.

Bob Dylan vs. Neil Young I love both of them though.

The Fall vs. Wire

Black Flag vs. Minor Threat Don't know them well enough.

Melt-Banana vs. Lightning Bolt Don't know them well enough.

Dinosaur Jr vs. Pixies Can't choose, I'm not a big fan of both bands but love the albums You're living over me and Doolittle.

Ramones vs. The Clash Just because The Clash suck (I'm not a big Ramones fan).
Old 07.20.2008, 09:48 AM   #17
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
the cure
neil young
the fall
black flag
lightning bolt
black sabbath
dinosaur
ramones
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth