Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you open the box?
Yes 8 42.11%
No 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.13.2006, 03:08 PM   #21
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprogeny79
where's the contest? come on, what would you do with $100e9 anyway? even if you said something to the effect of "your wildest dreams would come true," etc., etc., isn't the whole joy of life knowing that you have to earn it?

my mom is always prattling on about winning the lottery . . . i, for one, would hate to win the lottery, because i would know it was just opportune fortune that i did precisely nothing to deserve. i suppose the intrigue of winning the lottery is enticing for those who believe they have no way out of their lot in life, who think they can't be doing anything that would both be more helpful to mankind and be more fulfilling (and result in more monetary reward). but that's not the way life works. case in point: this semester i set two goals for grades on which i was more or less straddling the fence prior to exams. i met both goals, which elated me at first, but now i'm just looking for more challenges, more ways to occupy my time, to be productive, to EARN the rewards i so fervently seek.

aristotle hit it right on the head when he defined eudaimonia: happiness is an activity of the soul in accord with virtue. nothing is free, nor should it be. so no, no box filled with riches and dreams would be worth risking your life. in fact, no such box could ever be worth anything.

Screw you! I still want my $100 billion dollars!
Old 05.13.2006, 03:10 PM   #22
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Open it. If you die you aint gonna know what hit you. I fhtere's money then big whup.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2006, 03:22 PM   #23
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Winning the lottery is no better or worse than being born into old money.

but there's a relevant difference there. when you're born into old money you do nothing to actively circumvent the usual necessity to earn your pay -- it just kind of happens, and you don't buy a lottery ticket. plus when you're born into old money, you earn your inheritance in a sense by earning the trust of the testator -- otherwise he/she would disinherit you or leave nothing for you in the will.

i can't speak for anyone here but myself, but i can personally find nothing to say for that kind of instant gratification. maybe winning a bazillion dollars would induce a sort of temprary euphoria as you surround yourself with enormously expensive goods and use the power that invariably comes with that sort of sum to your own advantage, but there would always be a sort of guilt looming in the background, knowing that nothing of your own doing had caused such a fortuitous event. now maybe if you use the money to better the state of the world (financing medical research, setting up scholarship funds, etc.) THAT would be gratifying, but that would simply be another case of earning your reward, viz., the knowledge that your actions are helping others and the respect for yourself that ensues.

to bolster my point, let me introduce a quasi-famous similar case by the late philosopher robert nozick. his question was, if you could hook yourself up to a machine that would induce any sort of experience you wanted for the rest of your life, would you, even though you would be doing nothing but sitting there hooked up to a machine as in the matrix? i would say no, because happiness is something that has to be actively pursued -- no pill, machine, box, or lottery ticket could ever substitute for the bona fide activities of human existence.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2006, 03:23 PM   #24
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Damn freakin morals

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2006, 03:32 PM   #25
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprogeny79
now maybe if you use the money to better the state of the world (financing medical research, setting up scholarship funds, etc.) THAT would be gratifying, but that would simply be another case of earning your reward, viz., the knowledge that your actions are helping others and the respect for yourself that ensues.

You just reiterated my point.
It is a means to an end, and only morons with nothing else to offer the world or themselves see money as an end unto itself. That's all I was saying. I would still have a life filled with challenges and avenues to pursue satisfaction and fulfillment, but figuring out how to pay for a new roof would not be one of those things, that's all.
Re: old money/trust funds, minding one's p's and q's and kissing ass until someone dies is not equal to building a fortune for one's self through one's own efforts, and presenting that as some kind of "challenge" is pretty ridiculous.

I think we probably agree more than we disagree on this stuff.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2006, 03:39 PM   #26
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
you guys had to go deep didn't you.

i'd open it, if the exposion of the bomb wouldent hurt or kill anyone but myself then i'd definately open it.

i i die then, what do i care, i'd be dead, if i live i'd give all the money to charity and kill myself.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2006, 03:42 PM   #27
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
this is gay.
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2006, 03:46 PM   #28
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Re: old money/trust funds, minding one's p's and q's and kissing ass until someone dies is not equal to building a fortune for one's self through one's own efforts[. . .]

agreed. my only point was that you earn inheritances more than winning lottery tickets. but neither is equal to the virtue of the self-made man.

the thing is, when most people buy lottery tickets, they have no intention of using the money to help mankind; they have every intention of using it to buy mansions on the river and vintage lamborghinis. that's perfectly ok, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that whether you earned it or won it; it's just that you can't substitute your blind hopes of extraordinarily good luck for your rationality and the self-realization that comes with seeking those riches through your own effort. if you're GIVEN the money there's nothing wrong with accepting it (unless it was accumulated at the involuntary expense of others or through otherwise immoral means), but to exclusively focus your efforts on winning the money, or to take a blind chance of incurring great harm in the hopes of gaining something that is purely luck-o'-the-draw, is patently irrational.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2006, 03:48 PM   #29
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses

Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2006, 05:23 PM   #30
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPfrey05
this is gay.

So you are saying this is awesome?
Old 05.13.2006, 05:30 PM   #31
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
"let us cavort like the ancient greeks... you know the ones i mean"
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 10:16 AM   #32
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
"let us cavort like the ancient greeks... you know the ones i mean"
Hahaha...bring on the chocolate frosting!
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth