Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page filmmaker admits he killed victim in publicity stunt gone awry
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2011, 05:25 PM   #1
startur
bad moon rising

startur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's asses
Some of you here are filmmakers and/or like horror movies so i thought i would post this. Not sure if you heard about the story, it's about a guy who murdered someone in Edmonton and it got a lot of attention because people were saying that he did it cause he loved the show "Dexter" so much...

Here's the latest: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1973352/

Edmonton filmmaker admits he killed victim in publicity stunt gone awry: lawyer

An amateur filmmaker is no longer pleading his innocence in the death of a man who was killed, cut up and dumped into a sewer.

Mark Twitchell's lawyer opened his client's defence Wednesday by saying Mr. Twitchell admits he was involved in Johnny Altinger's death, but not in the way the Crown portrayed it. Mr. Twitchell originally pleaded not guilty.

Charles Davison said Mr. Twitchell, who is charged with first-degree murder, never meant for Mr. Altinger to die in what was supposed to be a publicity stunt.

Mr. Davison said Mr. Twitchell's idea was to lure men to a garage that he had rented on Edmonton's south side, pretend to kill them and then let them escape. He hoped the men would write about their experiences on the Internet and create buzz for a slasher movie Mr. Twitchell had recently filmed called House of Cards.

Mr. Twitchell then took the stand where he began to calmly and confidently tell his version of events. He looked straight ahead, hands on the witness box, or looked directly at jurors as he explained movie terminology to them.

Mr. Altinger disappeared Oct. 10, 2008, when he went to the garage, thinking he would meet a woman he'd spoken to online. His charred and hacked up remains were found in a sewer in 2010.

The Crown argued Mr. Twitchell had been planning Mr. Altinger's death as part of a twisted desire to become a serial killer. Prosecutors entered into evidence a document found on his laptop – a 42-page first-person account of an unnamed author's actions toward that goal.

At the start of the trial Mr. Twitchell, 31, offered to plead guilty to the lesser charge of interfering with Mr. Altinger's remains. The Crown rejected the proposed plea.

On Tuesday, an Edmonton police detective described on the stand how he was called to the remand centre about 18 months after Mr. Twitchell was charged. He testified that the accused handed him a Google map with hand-written directions to a sewer near the home of Mr. Twitchell's parents.

When the detective and a partner checked out the sewer, they found Mr. Altinger's body parts.

Earlier in the week, the Crown presented blood spatter evidence that prosecutors believe helps prove Mr. Twitchell killed Mr. Altinger, 38, by first cracking his skull with a copper pipe. They said he then knifed him to death, cut up the body and dumped it in a sewer.

A police constable testified there were well over 200 red blotches and stains on the inside of the garage and some blood even landed outside the main door.

There was more blood on the floor of the garage in streaks and blotches readily visible to the naked eye. “I blasted him so hard blood spattered everywhere,” writes the author of the document found on Mr. Twitchell's laptop. “He hit the floor but was still conscious.”

The writer of the file, which prosecutors have suggested was Mr. Twitchell's diary, said the victim (he called him “Jim”) pleaded and bargained for his life but the author was undeterred.

“I wailed on him again.”

Jim would not be subdued and made a dizzy, last-ditch attempt to grab the pipe.

“I wrestled it from him and that was the last straw. I pulled my hunting knife from its sheath and, watching the shock on his face as he saw the blade, I thrust it into his gut. His reaction was pure Hollywood.”

Jurors heard blood was also found in both Mr. Twitchell's and Mr. Altinger's cars.

Court had already heard that Mr. Altinger's blood was also found on a variety of knives, cleavers and saws in Mr. Twitchell's possession, as well as on his laptop keyboard. Bloodstains were also in Mr. Twitchell's washing machine.

Mr. Twitchell was trying to finance a deal for a feature film. The Crown said he had embarked on a secret life of a serial killer to mimic his TV hero Dexter Morgan. Dexter is a blood-spatter expert who works for the Miami police but moonlights as a vigilante serial killer.

Here's a wiki entry about the case on the Dexter page:

Missing person case
Connections have been suggested between Dexter and an ongoing murder charge against Mark Twitchell of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. On December 3, 2008, Twitchell pleaded not guilty to the charge of first-degree murder of 38-year-old John Altinger, whose remains were found in June 2010. Twitchell filmed footage for a production of House of Cards (entirely unrelated to the British production of the same name), a horror-romance similar in tone to Dexter,[28] in which he allegedly murdered Altinger. Det. Mark Anstey of the Edmonton Police Service was quoted as saying, "We have a lot of information to suggest he definitely idolizes Dexter." In the summer of 2008, Twitchell had posted a series of ominous Facebook statuses in which he "believed he had a lot in common with Dexter Morgan".[29][30] On July 24, 2009, Court of Queen's Bench Justice Michell Crighton refused to grant Twitchell bail. He was previously represented by Edmonton defense lawyer David Cunningham, but as of March 2010 Charles B. Davison has taken over the case. Crown prosecutors Avril Herron and Lawrence Van Dyke are prosecuting him. The ABC newsmagazine show 20/20 researched the case in Edmonton during the summer of 2009 for upcoming coverage of the case,[31][32] but due to the legal issues of Twitchell's trial, there is a temporary publication ban.[33]
startur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Good story.

I've never really cared for Dexter all that much though.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2011, 01:00 PM   #3
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno whats crazier - the guy who did this or a society that for entertainment watches a serial killer kill serial killers
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2011, 01:28 PM   #4
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
the answer is c) a society that lives in fear of being tortured or executed by the state should it point out its been in perpetual war for nearly 70 years and has no qualms about sending its soldiers to murder women and children overseas. a society that is kept enslaved in a ponzi scheme economic system wherein only the poor are taxed and their plunder is used to fund said genocides.

human life is expendable as long as it happens abroad and you can sit in front of the tv watching entire industries of shills go to work constructing bullshit rationale after bullshit rationale to cover over this fact.

glad ur back

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2011, 03:20 PM   #5
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
altho it's really useless to morally critique people watching death on tv because the militarism and aggression is in the culture as result of the militarism and aggression in the foreign policy.

but there's no conspiracy involved, 'they' are totally up front and transparent about this.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2011, 04:03 PM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
this 20/20 program also included a story about a teenager who killed someone because of a Dexter fascination as well. the creators of Dexter were lined up for an interview, but Showtime stopped them from speaking with 20/20.

I only half paid attention, as I don't care for TV, but there's one thing for certain, you get the same effect from playing an Ozzy record backwards.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2011, 04:16 PM   #7
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
i've been completely desensitized by gore and torture in tv and film that hearing about this has no effect on me whatsoever.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2011, 05:40 PM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
you're wasting your talent on SYG.

fuck your depressive state in the mouth and do something with your words for fuck's sake.
Old 04.07.2011, 06:01 PM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

not that I'm aware of, but what do I know? I thrive on stupidity.

that said, seeing as 2% of this forum's users might be able to use the search function, and of them, less than 1% would bother....why do you care other than some sort of self-inflicted shame?

shame is a construct that only you can tear down.

your past does not define you so much as what you do with the future.

besides...I wasn't suggesting you leave SYG completly in favor of some grand exploit...
Old 04.07.2011, 06:11 PM   #10
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

fuck it. tell chanbibiddy to mod me. I can do it.

I like delete things and have a long list of references.
Old 04.07.2011, 06:47 PM   #11
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

nope. it's a one-man show as far as I'm aware.

the lack of fascism is refreshing, but having a delete-o-tron around would be nice.

just one look at the wiley Chinese robot that has infiltrated the "introduce yourself" thread should say why.

ni hao, motherfluckers.
Old 04.07.2011, 06:59 PM   #12
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Surely no one wants to delete the sway insults and Billy Corgan meme pictures?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2011, 08:21 PM   #13
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I'm all for keeping it all.

then again, I'm a fan of broken genius.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth