View Single Post
Old 06.30.2008, 06:53 AM   #887
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
This is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!! !, the solo disc at least. Please give it a listen.
First time my mind's been absolutely blown by a solo sax performance.

Quote:
Evan Parker & Greg Goodman "Abracadabra" (1978, Beak Doctor 2) + Evan Parker "Live at the Finger Palace" (1978, Beak Doctor 3) FLAC & MP3-320

The AMG review of "Live at the Finger Palace" by Eugene Chadbourne speaks better than I would do so here it is :
"Figuring out which is the best Evan Parker solo recording is a quest that could either result in a highly enjoyable lifestyle or having commitment papers served. In either case this particular recording might turn out to be crucial, it presents Parker on one of his early trips to the United States playing before a small group of fans whose commitment to his style of improvising underscores the logical connection between "fan" and "fanatic." With Parker arriving on the west coast with a status somewhere between Gandhi and Crusader Rabbit, the atmosphere was ripe for a totally confident and impressive display of his innovative concepts and playing style. This is what exactly what Parker delivers here, in a venue that was basically somebody's livingroom, that somebody being pianist Greg Goodman, who also originally put the performance out on vinyl. At the Finger Palace acquired legendary status as the ultimate Evan Parker performance, and while research continues on that subject suffice to say there is enough evidence to rank the man as the ultimate soprano saxophone soloist."

And the following lines opening the presentation of the record on the Beak Doctor site : "Some say their lives were changed, others say their ears were cleaned beyond recognition; some began practicing their instruments, others gave them up completely." should give those still hesitating to grab this one a good reason to do it.

The other disc, recorded at the same time but in duo with Greg Goodman on "unprepared piano" has Parker playing tenor and the approach is of course very different. For a review from the Bells magazine check this link :
http://bells.free-jazz.net/bells-sll...n-evan-parker/
Goodman is a musician I know pratically nothing about but the Lytton comparison in the review is interesting.

"Live at the Finger Palace" is for me really an incredible recording, standing out amongst the mass of also incredible material issued by Mr. Parker. This is why it is here again on Inconstant Sol, in a fresh rip with quality scans. Flac and MP3 are included but be warned that my vinyl is not is the best shape.
The artwork by Jean de Bosschère used on the two discs also deserves a special note ... please take the time to look at it!

Enjoy,
Pierre

http://thebeakdoctor.com/bd2history.htm
http://thebeakdoctor.com/bd3history.htm
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|