Thread: Pope Smashers
View Single Post
Old 04.06.2006, 07:37 PM   #10
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
They were around longer than you think, perhaps. There's a full-length CD's worth of songs...sorta semi-available. I think it may have been a CDR only, but I can ask around and report back.

After 2000, the band broke up, but several of the members including Mike and the singer Bert started a new band called New Maps Out of Hell, and their first show was in my living room. They burned pretty brightly for a while, but things seemed way too volatile with them. Early shows were all great, but six months later, they became frustratingly hit or miss depending largely on how much drinking had happened before their showtime. I think they toured up I-5 a bit and it went badly for them. Too bad, 'cos that band's record might've sounded great if it had been recorded before implosion.

Two or three years of relative silence followed that, but just last year, Mike, Bert, and another ex-Pope Smasher that I work with formed a new band. A bit more traditional-sounding, reportedly, but they were excited about being onto something, and they seemed interested in booking a first show soon just before Mike was killed in the tragic bike accident a few months ago.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|