View Single Post
Old 02.06.2023, 06:07 AM   #25408
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah this was quite good if I recall. Except when Margot Robbie played Tonya at *FOURTEEN YEARS OLD* for a second. Oof.
having not seen the movie, but news of the actual events, i'd say margot robbie is way too hot to play a believable tonya harding. she should have been the pretty one who had her knee broken.

---

anyway caught a couple of 90s movies this weekend:

THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY (ANTHONY MINGHELLA, 1999, his screenplay base on a patricia highsmith novel)

the cast on paper may seem like a collection of annoying 90s celebrities (matt damon, jude law, gwyneth) but damon is soooooooo fucking creeeeepy in this one, and the plot is so very good. the glorious cate blanchett and the dead philip seymour hoffmann have minor but brilliant parts in it. the plot is so very good. patricia highsmith had a fucking twisted mind hahahaha. apparently she was a terrible person, but hey, she sure could write.

GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS (JAMES FOLEY, 1992, david mamet screenplay based on his own original play)

everybody remembers the movie these days because of the alec baldwin speech that has become a youtube meme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elrnAl6ygeM

and sure it's a great and ridiculous and hilarious scene, but there's an entire universe beyond that scene, and it's great. well, it's dismal actually, but it's done very well.

first, it's based on a david mamet play, and mamet himself wrote the screenplay and added that famous scene. so you get his trademark dialogue which is always fucking great.

then sure baldwin is great in it, but the movie fatures also: al pacino, jack lemmon, kevin spacey, ed harris, alan arkin, who take up most of the screen time and deliver some great fucking lines in this very well filmed play. jonathan pryce too, looking even more pathetic than in brazil.

now some people may say oooh kevin spacy is a bad man, but that's between him and the police. in this movie he plays his part very well. which makes him a good man in this movie. in others too by the way. but anyway i digress.

jack lemmon won an oscar here and i don't know who was up against him but it looks thoroughly well deserved, and he's brilliant and pitiful and his character reminds me of willy loman, a sad broken old salesman. pacino is fucking great, his part is great, he does it so well. ed harris does not play a villain exactly (he' so good at playing villains), he's just an angry resentful guy here. alan arkin plays... i don't know, someone who looks and acts a little like a bird hahahahaha. he's quiet, quietly anxious, and so good in his role. i don't know, excellent cast and screenplay. a++++++ will watch again.

oh and of course this was a rewatch. mamet's movies deserve regular rewatches. house of games, anyone?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|