View Single Post
Old 01.12.2016, 10:50 PM   #6605
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I didn't get into the VU until I heard WL/WH. then I understood that the VU and Nico didn't have shitty songs, just shitty production. the most unfaithful production of an early guitar band I know. the most shit guitar sound of any band from that era but, that's what delayed the fame right?

it's like the production forgets the bottom end and emphasis's the high end. it's like the music was too good to record. it's like the most shit recording ever. it's like the producer wanted to make them sound like typical folk rock. hey, that the Velvet Underground and Nico. it has shit production. it's like the most shitty recording everyone loves but doesn't know why. it's a shit recording with great songs with that chicken string guitar sound that annoys you but isn't true to the bands sound. it's the VU and Nico. the shit recording is the reason everyone has been listening to it over and over.

it's my favorite VU album. has anyhow read the reason why Mo played drums so bad on Heroin? a shit recording that birthed maybe some cool bands.

Not sure I agree with you 100% on this. I do think the album fails to do justice to the material at times, but I've honestly never considered it a "shit recording." I guess when I listened to the record at age thirteen, after seeing it praised by just about every music phblication known to man as an album that ushered in punk, maybe I had a bit of a WTF reaction. But I actually think WL/WH was probably a worse recording in the technical sense. The first track from that album stands out because of its horrendous production. The whole album really seems to use "bad production" as a central element of the sound.

Things didn't really get clean until self-titled.

I think the live performances from the & Nico era probably do a better job of representing the band's true sound. But VU & Nico is a perfect album. If the production sucks, that suckiness is part of what makes it perfect. With "better" production it might sound like fluff.

"Heroin" is actually one of my absolute favorite VU studio tracks. So... *shrug*
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|