View Single Post
Old 06.11.2022, 12:48 AM   #386
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses

Boris - Max Watt's House of Music, Melbourne, Australia - June 10, 2022

One of, I think, four 20th anniversary shows for Heavy Rocks (2002) - Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, and Hobart. Absolutely was worth going to, the best show I've been to yet.
The two opening acts were varying in quality - first, we had Bonnie Mercer, who gave us a little under half an hour of squalling guitar feedback and noise (accompanied with a friend on bass). She kicked ass. Unfortunately I was less keen on the second band, Rot TV, who were 60s influenced garage rock and (although technically competent) fairly unremarkable.
Boris came on at the exact point they were meant to, although it took some time to get started (presumably technical issues, there was another pause midway through the set). The sound in the venue was perfect; with earplugs in the level was exactly what I wanted it to be. And, of course, the music. I'd never actually heard the album they were going to play before, and I'm worried that it won't match up to the set now - they were great. They had an extra musician, Tokie, to play bass throughout the set; but the real star of the show was Atsuo, who was constantly yelling at us to get hyped and banging on his gong whenever he got the chance. Was a very fun set, and it showed us more that they're at their best being slow and atmospheric - 'Soft Edge' was played for twice as long as the studio version lasts for, and it was magical, as was the 10 minute 'Death Valley'.
Went off stage at the conclusion of the album, before returning for a short encore - 'Reincarnation Rose' with an extra guitar and bass solo each, and then a loud and stunning version of 'Farewell'. Great performance, will definitely see them again next chance I get.
(Also taped the show...and had a very stressful time trying to get home.)
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|