View Single Post
Old 07.18.2012, 01:26 AM   #33
Starcat
bad moon rising

Starcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think what elevated Psychocandy above its peers wasn't the noise (as Pookie and Blunderbuss have pointed out) but the songwriting. I don't think that album would've endured much beyond the hype were it not for the fact that beneath the feedback there's some absolutely classic pop songs. I heard lots of distortion pedals in the mid 80s but not many songs as brilliant as You Trip Me Up, The Hardest Walk or Just Like Honey.

I agree... But I can't quantify whether or not Psychocandy was any better than some grimy British noise band that played a couple of grimy gigs in the grimy bars of Leeds or Manchester and put out a few grimy EPs and then all died grimy deaths. Because I wasn't there and haven't heard it all yet. But I'm prepared to contest Pookie and Blunderbuss if what they're saying is that Psychocandy was just noise but that their later albums were somehow better

Starcat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|