View Single Post
Old 07.17.2012, 03:13 AM   #28
Starcat
bad moon rising

Starcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
That wouldn't be a greatest hits. A best of perhaps.

And the term "alt-rock" wouldn't have existed then and if it did JAMC were more comparable to other British indie bands of the time (Primal Scream, The Jazz Butcher, Biff Bang Pow! etc).

I say "alt-rock" as an insult to late- Mary Chain albums. I'm saying that if you listened to them now, they'd sound like something cranked out by any of the 50 billion generic rockbands polluting the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Don't believe the hype, kiddo. The only thing that stopped JAMC from being a run of the mill indie band from the very off was the fact that they had a reputation for somewhat fiery live shows, and that's the reason that the music press picked up on them, nothing to do with the music. And Psychocandy contains just as much tosh as any other indie album of the time (and just as much as any of their subsequent albums), but it has been hidden beneath the noise (which wasn't something as unique to them at the time as mythology would like you to believe, you couldn't move for noise and distortion in UK indie music at the time).

I'm not speaking from the hype, I'm speaking from having listened to all of their albums thoroughly. The noise might have been the only thing going for them on Psychocandy, but if noise was the only thing needed to save their other albums from being boring as hell then it's their own fault for abandoning it.

Starcat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|