View Single Post
Old 07.19.2006, 01:04 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The album that changed Rob Instigator's life.

DAYDREAM NATION - Sonic Youth

I grew up with music in the house all the time. the first bands I dug at age 8-9 were van halen, def leppard, quiet riot was my fave, hard rock and metal. I progressed in that vein for years getting deeper into thrash (remember when it was called thrash? megadeth, metallica, slayer, Anthrax, exodus, nuclear assault, etc.? anyone?) and hardcore punk. I reached a point when i was around 15 that I was burned out. I listened to megadeth's Peace Sells But Who's Buying over and over and over and over again for several months. I had started to feel the stagnant nature of metal, the false posturing, the ridiculous "rock-god" aspirations, the ego of the whole thing. It was getting to me but I did not understand it then. One day I was reading people magazine, and saw a review for Sister, and it included a picture of these 3 dudes and one chick (a chick in a band? and it was not a stupid looking lita ford type? amazing!) standing in a new york alley, wearing reguilar clothes, not posturing like the dozens and dozens of metal pinups and posters that I had sapled to my walla nd bedroom ceiling from hit parader, kerrang, metal mania, Circus magazine and such. I could not take my eyes from the picture. i read the review and it intrgued me. it spoke of noise squalls, of feedback drenched proto-songs, of beauty and bliss in chaos. It sounded to me like this band, sonic youht, who did not look all that young, had what I wanted, what the heavy metal bands tried to fake with satan lyrics and stupid costumes and posturing. That review stuck with me. When, a year or so later, I sw daydream nation come out, I thought "hey, this is that sonic youth band, that band with the ridiculously fantastic name I read about." and bought it.
everything changed. what constituted a song changed, what could be music changed, what was ROCK changed, what was GOOD changed. I found honesty, and artifice, beauty and ugliness, chaos and peace, joy and pain, in just the first song, TEENAGE RIOT! Tag I was it. Kim told me so. she told me again. she re-assured me I WAS IT DAMNIT. That cassette, the blast first one that stunk like motor oil, was on my boombox next to my bed constantly. i woudl sit in my room and my little bro would come in asking why i was still listening to that same album? The damn thing was LONG> i did not know it was a double album at the time. noone I knew had evern heard of sonic youth. Daydream nation showed me the world of true independent-minded music. uncompromising music. daydream nation is the single greatest moment of my life. I can honestly say it changed everything, EVERYTHING in my life for the better.It also gave me something which was MINE> noone else's. noone listened to sonic youth in alief texas. Just me. It was mine. so it stayed until college 5 years later. Only then did I find others who listened to sonic youth, and to this day I have yet to run into anyone who is as blindly devoted to them and their music as I. I will KILL YOU for sonic youth, if they asked.

everyone I know knows that sonic youth is MINE.