View Single Post
Old 06.12.2010, 03:24 AM   #65
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like over half of what's popular right now, even in the hip, "underground" circles, but I also don't like the idea of not being able to make a decent living off of playing music. If you want to think I'm a greedy soulless bastard for feeling this way, then fuck you. I don't think it's too much to ask that I should be able to get paid to do what I like best and the thing I'm most good at doing like hundreds of others before me have the past. Why should I be denied that chance just because I'm living in the digital era?

In my band, we are poor. So poor we can't afford a van to take our drummer's set out to play shows, and as a result we barely practice because it's not worth the cost of gas money to practice just for the sake of the 3 of us playing music together and getting tighter as band. We don't party that much, so it's not like we're blowing all our money on booze, drugs, and hookers. It's more because our singer insists on giving out CDs and free MP3 downloads with the hope that it'll bring more people to the shows, but it doesn't and the rare times we do play a show almost nobody shows up and we almost never make a decent amount of money from it.

The sad (for some) truth of the world is that everything comes with a cost, including art. Museums and movie theaters charge for admission. Even if you're filesharing, you still paid for the computer/media player you listen to the music through, and the internet connection.

I don't know; I'm probably just rambling at this point since I'm a little intoxicated and I've been up since 7:30 this (yesterday) morning. All I know is I'm getting REALLY FUCKING TIRED of putting up with shit to make a living. I love Radiohead, but what Thom is insinuating here kinda pisses me off.