View Single Post
Old 06.19.2021, 02:02 AM   #53709
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lmfao

colón was probably right. byrne was pilfering african music from early on, like a musical indiana jones ha ha ha.

Rei Momo is not exactly the best record in David Byrne's catalog, but I disagree. First, Byrne and Brian Eno were using African and African-derived music (from Fela to funk and disco to Latin American rhythms) as non-exclusive building blocks (other influences certainly came into play) to create something Neu! —er, I mean, new . Joni Mitchell beat them all to the punch in this sense, though, sampling included: listen to 1975's "The Jungle Line". Shit, even the Stones pretty much unintendedly did: how about Mick Taylor's solo on 1971's "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". And in the mid-to-late '70s you had Can's cheekily named "Ethnological Forgery Series", to say nothing of Jon Hassell's "Fourth World"... BUT I DIGRESS. Second, and much more to the point, if what Willie Colón expected was to make an album of "authentic", "pure" musical forms from Cuba to Brazil, then what the heck was he doing working with Byrne; he should have just stuck to recording with his Latin American friends.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|