View Single Post
Old 09.24.2006, 04:45 PM   #4086
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
some of that i suppose is true. i have never heard/of Heaven 17... but im a leftie... TFF, i never thouhgt of them as mainstream.. but i guess one would have to be alive in the time...? TFF is great though. i cannot stand Duran Duran... and the punk stuff, there was liots of super good stuff, i suppose some that came from the 70's.. but whatever.. i'm thinking stuff like the Damned and Husker Du... not so much mainstream, no?
anyways, i suppose the 80's sucking for mainstream or not is a matter of taste.

Tears for Fears were absolutely a mainstream pop chart band. But they were also quality, interesting songwriters - that's what defines that era's pop for me.

The Damned, during the phase where they did 'Phantasmgoria' and the LP after whose name escaped me, were regulars on television pop shows too, even those aimed specifically at younger people. Other than that, you'd never hear of them.

But as you say, it's a matter of taste, and I'm sure when I go on about the eighties, it's partly because they were my formative years (I was 9 in 1980, so my teenage years were in that decade). People older than me will try to insist that the 70's or 60's were better. There's a subjectivity to it.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|