View Single Post
Old 09.24.2006, 04:40 PM   #4081
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest

I have to disagree about the mainstream thing. Think of people like Tears for Fears and Heaven 17 - they may not be to everyone's taste, but they (especially TFF) managed to combine being genuinely mainstream with writing songs about a variety of things ie not just about boy/girl stuff. That hasn't happened since. Heaven 17 were very political (lefties - not my politics, but hey ho).

And, now, you see, I have to say this: Duran Duran, during their 2nd and 3rd LP's, whether you like them or not, filled a very important role insomuch as they were the first pop band to genuinely come close to matching the Beatles for popularity. That gave pop music a kind of legitimacy.

Aside from pop, there was also the after-effects of punk. Also, we saw for the first time the breakdown of clear stylistic delineations as bands started to mix rap and rock, dance and rock, pop and punk and just about everything else.

That said, there was some right shite too of course, I won't try to deny it.

some of that i suppose is true. i have never heard/of Heaven 17... but im a leftie... TFF, i never thouhgt of them as mainstream.. but i guess one would have to be alive in the time...? TFF is great though. i cannot stand Duran Duran... and the punk stuff, there was liots of super good stuff, i suppose some that came from the 70's.. but whatever.. i'm thinking stuff like the Damned and Husker Du... not so much mainstream, no?
anyways, i suppose the 80's sucking for mainstream or not is a matter of taste.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|