View Single Post
Old 05.25.2008, 10:12 PM   #48
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here

This track [Here I Go] is probably the most coherent of all on Madcap, it’s a lovely Carnaby Street pop song, and a rarity for Syd’s solo songwriting, it has a narrative instead of the usual stream of consciousness lyricism. The result of a more clear-minded recording session, the story is very uplifting – about ditching that bitch and shagging her sister, and provides some welcome relief – with this, it also includes a veiled stab at Pink Floyd- “she said a big band is far better than you”. Yep, the singings out of tune, the guitar is amateur – and I fucking love it.

It's interesting that you see the track like that. I tend to see Here I Go, and The Madcap Laughs in general, more as a kind of decidely bitter post-party come down from the whole Carnaby Street thing, which was largely dead by 1967 anyway, rather than an evocation of its heyday. Barrett was, as we all know, a casualty of that era and, for me, part of the greatness of the album is the way in which it bears its war-wounds so openly. In this sense, I think it's only equal from that no-longer-Swinging London era is maybe Lennon's debut solo album, 'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' - which also came out in 1970.

It's usual, and not entirely incorrect, to mention the Velvets in the same breath as Barrett, but I always feel that Lennon is a far better comparison, especially during that brief period - two rather fragile figures, damaged by inter-band rivalries as well as being alienated from a scene they were both so pivotal in creating. The Madcap Laughs and John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band are, in many ways, Britain's first real post-'sixties' albums and certainly paved the way for themes that would emerge later, on, for example, ex-Fairground Convention guitarist Richard Thompson's solo work in the early seventies.

With this in mind, it's interesting how Barrett remains a massive influence on artists that've gone solo following earlier periods of success with more popular bands (most notable examples being Julian Cope, Graham Coxon and, ahem, Captain Sensible)
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|