View Single Post
Old 06.16.2010, 02:19 AM   #7
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
OP: that's a pretty vague question, because there's lots of funk in most genre's and a lot of artists throw together something more funky than their genre would otherwise specify so I'm with 'decayed rhapsody' on that... it's more about singles. anyway if you're looking for niche' "funk" artist, you'll find all their stuff starts sounding the same. The gems are found randomly. You mentioned the heavyweights w/ G. Clinton & Sly (Ohio Players were already mentioned, but a good one). I also like your Beastie Boys reference. A lot of funk going on there too.... if you like that stuff, check out some of these (covering a lot of genre's / era's):

Beastie Boys - Transitions

Daft Punk - (tons of shit)

the Meters - (tons of shit)

Curtis Mayfield - Diamond in the Back ....etc.

Johnny Taylor - Disco Lady ....etc.

Kool & the Gang - Summer Madness

Beck - Sissyneck / Where it's at / Debra

Archie Bell & the Drells - Tighten Up

Yes - Fish ....etc.

Van Hunt - Dust ...etc.

Robert Palmer - Sneaking Sally through the Alley

Arrested Development - Ease My Mind

Dr. John - Mos' Scocious ....etc.

Toot's and the Maytals - (reggae but funky as shit)

conventional artists like Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon do some funky stuff.

Les Claypool is always doing something funky. same with Chili Peppers, Prince, David Byrne... etc.

one of my current fav's is Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey. Jazz involved, but doesn't lack in the funk dept.

lot's of Reggae teeters along the lines of 'funk' too. too many to mention.

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|