View Single Post
Old 04.01.2012, 12:52 PM   #33
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Okay, I get it now. I share a similar dislike of that Magnetic Fields person and that latest video for those very same reasons. NY isn't too different from London with the bear/twink dichotomy, although the twinks have started sporting beards now and everyone looks the same. There is increasing trans and genderqueer/gender non-conforming visibility in the NY arts world, but my perception might be skewed because I'm around those people all the time. I agree that the vid is problematic in some ways but I don't feel the need to police that guy's shit and I don't think his work is some kind of bellwether for all queer cultural production. Half the shit on the LOGO network is far more insidious. PG just suxxx.

It's not a case of policing this guy's music, why would I ever want to do that? He exists, not much we can do about it. It's more irritation at the fact that this poor man's Anthony & the Johnsons, another dull genius for the thoughtful gay guy, is hailed as the producer of masterpieces by people on the scene (I'm particularly thinking about a couple of ''influencial'' DJs here) who profess to try and educate their punters by playing interesting music. And guess what? They then use their stupid FB pages to critcise that same scene for not being receptive enough of more interesting music. Go figure.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|