View Single Post
Old 07.25.2006, 08:42 AM   #78
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
The sharp left turn came from Lydia Lunch's Hysterie 1976-1986. Probably.

I bought this expensive album out of boredom.

I didn't know who she was, had no idea what it would be like (but hoped for something punky).

At that time, I had the feeling I knew it all. I had been a Duran Duran fan - Union of the Snakes on TV. I had been into Midnight Oil (one track on a small radio), Dead Kennedys (from the only guy I knew who knew Midnight Oil), the Cure (tv), the Cramps (movies), Nick Cave (Wim Wenders), PIL-Buzzcocks-Magazine (personal researches).
I was desperately looking for records by the Slits (had a glimpse of them on TV when Sid & Nancy was released).

I was craving for something I couldn't name, and wasted money on records. I tried Lydia Lunch the same way I had tried Girlschool (partly hoping that it would be so crappy that I would quit spending spending spending).

Hysterie wasn't that great apart from a couple of tracks, one of them with Sort Sol. It was mentioned that she had also recorded something with Sonic Youth.

As there was no rush and no Slits record to be found, I came back to the Cramps. Grew tired, bought Sonic Youth's BMR. Didn't like it - a padded extended play. Found albums by the Slits. Gave Sonic Youth another chance for, after all, I Love Her All the Time had surprised me (how could words sound so different when they're the same? if it was due to that noise that split the song in two it was magic), fell in love with I'm Insane and...
I forgot it all about Midnight Oil, I can't listen to DK no more.

Sonic Youth was the first group nobody could stop me from loving.
"Could you please cut what you're listening to? Is that a washing machine you're playing?" some bloke in 1991.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|