View Single Post
Old 07.19.2006, 09:09 AM   #31
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
For me, Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound at the time I heard it was really different but still sounded so good and actually beautiful at times. I was getting into bands like Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Blonde Redhead, Yo La Tengo and Unwound at the time. While all these bands were great, I didn't quite understand Daydream Nation the first time i heard it through and I heard some older YLT album that didn't make my jaw drop like some of their other stuff (Painful, Electr-O-Pura) and Fugazi was kind of more straight forward rock to me at the time.

I went from listening to whatever the media was into and what was on mtv to these bands that had a lot less mainstream attention and were more of an effort to find and get into, which was part of the fun in it. It was a bit more challenging to discover. The sound and stories and characters presented in Leaves Turn Inside You were so real and fantastic that I listened to it on repeat for months at a time and got really lost in it.

From these first few albums, like Leaves, I started to listen to the bands' older work and got into bands that had ties via location or record label and am still constantly looking for new bands that wow me or just are really enjoyable to listen to. But i'll always think of Leaves as the first album that really sprung my interest in music and got me more involved in the music culture/world, whatever you want to call it.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|