View Single Post
Old 01.26.2011, 11:56 PM   #187
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
I agree with everything but the idea in bold. Sure higher frequencies (even ones we cannot hear) affect the audio we DO hear. But where do we draw the line? Most people can't hear much passed 18K; With sample rates commonly found at 24/96 these days that puts the highest frequency reproduced at 48K. Are you really going to argue that the frequencies above 48K are affecting things? What next, light waves affecting what we hear? And even if all those juicy frequencies are contained on (say) vinyl, 99.9% of audio systems in the world can't reproduce such high frequencies anyway (your point is completely moot).

No, what you love about analog is the surface noise which is now available via a plug in by UA. The debate about analog vs. digital is all but over at this point. (but I thought that was the case about global warming too and BOY was I wrong).

The idea is not bold, the idea is firmly set in reality. I am going to argue that frequencies above 48khz and below 20hz are affecting things as third order harmonics do indeed make a difference in the real world. Just because we can't hear them does not mean they do not affect what we hear. If we are going to discount third order harmonics we may as well discount the whole concept of audio. This is something that is very much dealt with in the real world and is by no means bold. You feel free to discount it though Hev. I wasn't trying to explain anything to an apparent audio boffin like yourself I was trying to explain to people who may not know the difference between and mp3 and an uncompressed format. And by the way 24/96 was common four years ago, the times my friend are a changin'...

And as far as light waves affecting what we hear, to a point they do, particularly the ones that affect rising temperatures or cooler temperatures, as does wind, so these ideas aren't just ideas they have been scientifically proven and taken on board by PA manufacturers for years. It actually becomes quite tedious when setting up big PA's in vastly different temperatures because of this and the PA needs to be mapped not just for different venues but for different weather conditions.

Also just because 99.9% of audio systems can't produce the frequency responses above or below 20hz/20khz does not mean that the audio is not affected by the third order harmonics, reproducing the upper and lower harmonics is not the key, allowing the harmonics to affect the ones within our hearing range does however have an affect.

This is not an invitation to start a flame war, just a response.

As for me liking surface noise, I'll just let that one slide into the ether...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|