View Single Post
Old 12.01.2008, 05:12 AM   #48
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Well, perhaps I am a big geek because the term was first used by Simon Reynolds in an article on The Wire. You can even download the article from that magazine's website, if they still have it on. You'd even find it surprisng that the bands he was referring to have little to do with your Godspeeds, Mogwais etc etc.

I searched the site for that article (which I think was in issue#124) but it didn't come up. All I could find was this quote in which he seems to define it as, "using rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes, using guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures rather than riffs and power chords." I'd be interested to know the names of some of the bands he mentions in relation to it though.

I tend to think of post-Rock as signifying just as much a move away from standard rock rhythm patterns as it does a commitment to move away from riffs, etc. In that sense, and in terms of precursors, I've always thought Can pretty much laid down its earliest template. I might say Beefheart too, but that'd be for slightly different, and altogether less convincing, reasons.

Anyway, until someone comes up with a solid definition, I'm gonna say that Twin Infinitives era Royal Trux are my favourite post-Rock band - even though I've never thought of them as being a post-Rock band at all, and doubt if they actually are.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|