View Single Post
Old 12.19.2007, 10:40 AM   #41
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Sorry, but that's simply not true, even though Tortoise were, at one point, the band that you immediately thought of (perhaps with Mogwai too) when you heard the term post-rock.

Well, I don't think even any of us are big enough geeks to do an extensive search of the first use of the term. The first I ever heard it used was in reviews of Tortoise and the explanations of what it meant were all built around what Tortoise do. That was some time ago, and now I see it used to describe all sorts of bands, many who seem much more grounded in straight ahead rock or post-punk or ambient. My understanding of why Tortoise were considered post-rock was that they couldn't exactly be considered a rock band though they were grounded in that world in terms of background and fanbase.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|