View Single Post
Old 05.23.2019, 04:54 AM   #2
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
ok, I'll give you some:

1. people doing techno dubstep or whatever remixes of Godspeed You Black Emperor songs, like this one.

(actually most of such remixes of any song are crap, e.g. the Owl remix album of Low songs)

examples 2 and 3 are actually the same guy

2. there was this concert in Cologne (Germany) a coupe of years ago. Rivulets from the US was the main act, Love Like Birds from Belgium was the support. But there was this other local band that played first. I don't recall their name and it doesn't matter, and I don't recall any of the other songs they played. But one kept stuck in my head, it was so bad that it was actually quite good
They started playing this song and I thought "hey I know that one", but couldn't figure it out. Then the guy started singing in German and I was like, what the fuck I know that song but I can't tell what it is

Took me a couple of minutes to discover that it was actually a cover of Joy Division, it was either Transmission or Love Will Tear Us Apart
The guy didn't know the rule that you should not sing Joy Division in German, probably because that rule only exists in my head.

3. Scout Niblett also live in Cologne Germany, playing on top of a museum with the cathedral in the background. Here's footage of Nevada and Can't Fool Me Now (with strings!). One of the most wonderful / special concert venues I've been at. But she also played her cover version of No Scrubs, which on her album is a duet with Bonnie Prince Billy. Of course Bonnie couldn't make it, so that same guy from example 2 did the duet. Suddenly the concert changed to a late night drunken karaoke performance.

There's no YT footage of that song on that night, but here is another duo performance of that song from another concert she did in Cologne. The guy is drumming and doing backup vocals. She's still awesome, but his vocals just don't mix with hers.

I'm not sure who the guy is actually (apartfrom his name), I guess he's a booker in Cologne, arranging shows, and sometimes booking himself then too.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|