View Single Post
Old 03.27.2008, 12:08 PM   #15
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
A lot of that stuff is good with plenty of stinkers too. Am I the only one who thinks that the vast majority of beat poets sound much more interesting on a lot of these spoken word albums than on paper? Allen Ginsberg, for one, I appreciate much more aurally than I can bear to read.

That's a fair assessment, as much of Ginsberg's material was written almost entirely to be read aloud. Burrough's holds up on the page a bit better, but then he was writing prose. Any good poetry really should sound better read out loud (especially by the poet) than it reads on the page, since from the page it's impossible to really hear the writer's voice.

I agree that what's bad on those comps is horribly bad, though the best is remarkable. Ironically, it's usually Giorno's own material I can't stand on them (and I've heard other stuff by him that was better).
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|