View Single Post
Old 12.02.2022, 10:37 PM   #401
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Social Punk Invasion tour--Ludlow Garage, Cincinnati, Ohio, November 18, 2022.

A package tour of veteran California punk bands isn't the type of show this venue usually puts on. But they occasionally go out of their comfort zone, and so they did on this evening.

TOTAL CHAOS: Opened the show. Pretty much standard thrash , but enlivened by a drummer who reminded me of Orpheo McCord (ex-Fall). I've heard worse live thrash, though. I'm glad I got to see them.

THE DICKIES: This band just seems to get better with age. Leonard had his usual array of props and toys (one of which was a squeaky toy that he played some "solos" with). The band was incredibly tight, with real songcraft in addition to the shredding guitars. If you haven't seen this group before, do so if you get the chance.

TSOL: Yes, Virginia, this was the real TSOL led by Jack Grisham and Ron Emory, not the long departed hair band claim jumpers. They far exceeded my expectations: power, stage presence (which I don't usually care about), energy, and Jack can really work a crowd. This is the first time I've seen TSOL. Hopefully it won't be the last.

I didn't stay for Greg Ginn's Black Flag tribute band, which is what taking BF's former back up band, with its surfer hippie poseur singer, and slapping the "Black Flag" label on them amounts to. A hard pass from me.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|