View Single Post
Old 08.24.2014, 07:40 PM   #110
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I saw King Buzzo perform a solo acoustic set in June. It was a fun & mellow time. Great entertainment for sitting across from an old friend and catching up over a beer or two.

I heard about the gig second hand, from someone rather than something (like an advert. or poster or event calendar) and the person who informed me about the show said it was Melvins. I called my local vinyl guy and asked him to order or save me two tickets, and I'd paid via credit card before learning it was just Buzz.

I'm not at all disappointed, because he was surprisingly good in that setting. But it was like hearing Ween's country album. The novelty wore off quickly. It was a good show, but I bought tickets with the hopes of seeing one of the bands whose live shows pretty much defined my teen years. (All the really cool kids were off seeing ATDI before anyone knew them, I suppose, but I never missed a Melvins show if I could help it, and I preferred their tried and true sludge punk to the fleeting post-grunge trends that afflicted my generation like full-body herpes.

(Anyone who grew up in the awkward space between between Nirvana's demise and the release of Kid A knows what I'm talking about. And I was just old enough to be deeply saddened by Kurt's death, but not old enough to understand the bigger picture... We were a pretty lost generation, but the Melvins were always around, god bless em.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|