View Single Post
Old 07.20.2012, 03:07 AM   #17
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcat
oh come on... you can't say that the songs on rather ripped would've made sense on EVOL. They've had at least two major stylistic periods since then. The shift between them was slow, which is why people have identified different albums beyond which things got boring: But the fact remains that SY went through a time in the 90s where their albums started getting boring.

And asskiss, listen to the original songs on "Lungs" and you'll see what I mean... A lot of it had to do with bad recording conditions and inappropriate equipment, but it's still totally awful. Even Steve Albini has said so
Fact! Can anybody say there are some facts in music? I think theyīre opinions.

Maybe Iīm deaf, but I canīt hear lot of difference between Reena and Starpower. Both are very beatiful, melodic pieces, well maybe there is a little bit more creepy guitar in the middle of Starpower.

Can you describe me what those stylistic changes are? I think SY started with making some sense in the middle of chaos and noise (1st album, CIS, BMR) then added melodies (that I love the most) then (EVOL, Sister). In DDN they added elements of conventional rock and in Washing Machine they went back to more experimental style. The high point of experimentalism was NYC ghosts and I am glad they again took melodic elements back in Murray Street. So there has been changes, but I wonīt call them stylistic changes.

Anyway the point of my writings is not that everybody should like every Sonic album, although itīs hard to understand why someone not like Eternal if he liked for example Goo. The point is that I think too many music fans (also too many music reviewers) are like children who get angry when their favourite artists refuse to full their needs anymore. Many have said here, they have right to expect great albums from SY. Theyīre wrong, SY can make album full of country-covers or even dull Chris Rea-style ballads if they like and itīs none of fucking business.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|