View Single Post
Old 08.18.2017, 10:16 PM   #49035
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Pearl Jam
No Code
1996, When I first heard No Code it really surprised me. See, I had been a Pearl Jam since day one. But this album was like... wow. Vitalogy is actually a favorite of mine now, but back then it was pretty weird to me. No Code was immediately gratifying. It felt like the best parts of Vitalogy condensed. It was just more straight-forward I guess. Nowadays I probably prefer Vitalogy, but I still love this album. It opens with the short and sweet "Sometimes" which feels at moments like PJ performing as softly as they're capable of. And THEN... "Hail Hail" which just rocks your speakers off. This album is no bullshit. It has its quiet moments, and it rocks. And that's about it. I mean there's the kind of 'world music' influence on "Who You Are," I guess but this isn't the kind of experimentalism that we heard on "Bugs," y'know? "Off He Goes" is this crushing narrative about bad friends. "Red Mosquito" is this intense scorcher about a visit from the devil... or maybe just a symbol of temptation? I don't know. Most Pearl Jam albums that I really love are ones that stand out in their gigantic discography as being somehow unique. But this one I think I love because it just kind of encapsulates stereotypical Pearl Jam. In a good way.

Sonic Youth
Confusion Is Sex
1983, The first time I heard Confusion Is Sex it actually kind of scared me. Or at least I found it off-putting. It was so dense and atonal. Even the title and artwork seems like its meant to confront. It was easily the SY album that took me the longest to get into. But once I did, I loved it hard. It's now in my top tier. "She's In A Bad Mood" starts off with what sounds like just open strings ringing out, as if the musicians had no idea how to play. And I love it. "Protect Me You" is horrifying. It's so slow and creepy and written from the perspective of a ten year old. "Freezer Burn" is just guitar feedback drone and then it bursts into "I Wanna Be Yr Dog" MID-SONG and taken from a particularly incredible live recording. "Shaking Hell" repeats "I'll take off your dress/shake off your flesh." I mean, c'mon. "Inhuman" is amazing. Truly amazing. The closest they come to hardcore here on an album that sounds like a hardcore tape played at a too-slow speed. "The World Looks Red" is a Swans throwaway, and I'm fine with that. It just fits here. "Making The Nature Scene" is like quasi-rap. There's just so much going on here in such a dark place. It's impressive how well it all hangs together thematically. You know music is good if it can still make you anxious after almost two decades of listening to it. Since 1995 the CD has also included the Kill Your Idols EP which works really well as a counterpoint to the slow sludginess of most of Confusion. "Kill Your Idols" and "Brother James" are both fantastic and hang well alongside "Inhuman." This is really an amazing beginning for the band. One that was recorded amidst drummer changes and supposedly master tapes with soda spilled on them. And perhaps that's all part of the magic.