View Single Post
Old 04.19.2023, 10:59 AM   #831
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
A sobering analysis from Foreign Affairs:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/middl...state-solution

Don't "tl;dr", peoples.
it's a bit of a tldr though because there is no evident solution to that problem. none that will work anyway. the authors say "the u.s. should..." and of course it should, but the would is another story that demands a big "HOW."

to always win is a kind of curse, and israel is stuck in a dangerous course right now as a result of endless victory.

and the us is stuck along for the ride as well, cognitive dissonance be damned.

i mean, the path has been going in this direction since the lebanon war, and then later when there was a chance to fix things but they killed rabin it kept going unabated. then sharon sees the light or something and conveniently dies. and so always further to the right. seems like a curse to me.

so how do you alter the course of a perpetual turn to the right when you get a sense of victory from it? like, actually alter the course? because anyone can issue "shoulds" and jeremiads. they are free, and have no tradeoffs.

the logical conclusion, it seems to me, the authors want israel to be handed a defeat as a result of its slow creep into fascism. but it's ever so slow that nobody wants to notice, and it's just "terribly inconvenient" to notice at this juncture.

so nobody who can do anything about this will "notice" -- except for israelis themselves opposing their own descent. as they should. they're the last hope. it's a well educated country, there's a tradition of moral examination of one's actions, there's a conscience, there's some hope there. of course on the opposing camp there is also nationalism, religious fanaticism, and the ability to twist any argument into self-justification.

but for the usa to take sides here...? an unfathomable leap (even though netanyahu had no qualms supporting trump and attacking obama).

personally i don't see a way forward here. but i'm not an expert. i'm just an agnostic observer. and it looks fucking terrible. and it's easy to moralize, but coming up with actual actionable solutions is a ton harder. show me a credible one.

as far as i can see it's only up to israeli citizens themselves to decide what they will do with their own fate. i'm not saying that there aren't other people involved or affected or responsible, that there are no humanitarian or moral issues etc. no, i'm not saying that.

i mean they are the only ones with power to actually do anything at this particular juncture. everybody's future (not just their own) is in their hands.

--

furthermore... i think that perhaps american scolding could only foment a greater siege mentality and further push them to the right...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|