View Single Post
Old 11.09.2007, 08:07 AM   #2252
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Went over to the dark side yesterday and bought freaking CDs.

The Modern Lovers reissue from Castle. New CD.
I have a strange history with this album. Once upon a time, I owned the original Beserkley release. I bought it new for about 8 bucks in a Minneapolis Wax Trax or something like that around 1980. It was mysteriously lost in a move from overseas in 1987. A few years later, I bought the Rhino CD reissue. In 1999, this was stolen. I went without it for a few years, and it became a Holy Grail pursuit. I seriously thought I'd never see this again.
Then around 2006, I found and purchased The Modern Lovers on not one but two LPs (Get Back Records reissues, slightly different from one another).
But I "needed" this new reissue. And I have to say, for a CD, it's not a bad one. There are several well-chosen bonus tracks, and unlike the Rhino CD reissue (now OOP) from the early 90s, they don't mix the extras inside the original track list. They also eschew the horrible blow-dry haircut photo Rhino used in favor of a pretty close facsimile of the original front cover--although this has been problematic with every TML reissue because not one I've seen has replicated the original Beserkley LP faithfully (plain black cover with the heart, and image of the concert poster on the back).

Also things from my two new favorite bands:

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure (used CD)
Radiohead - OK Computer (!!!) (used CD)