View Single Post
Old 12.02.2007, 02:18 PM   #562
█████████
expwy. to yr skull

█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses
The "Priest" They Called Him
http://the-spark-that-bled.blogspot.com/

A collaboration with William S Burroughs is the last thing any one would have expected Kurt Cobain to release,especially in the same year that Nirvana toppled Michael Jackson from the Billboard chart in America and brought the alternative into the mainstream(spawning a million and one copyists and sparking an industry frenzy in Seattle in the process.) But that's exactly what happened. Of course avant-garde novelist Burroughs released many spoken word albums, most notably Dead City Radio which was released two years prior to The "Priest" They Called Him. Based on a short story by Burroughs and backed by Cobain on guitar, the 'song' is startling, in the fact that it is so radically different from anything Kurt had done before.

Although the pairing at first seem odd, the common thread between the two was heroin addiction, and it is that which Burroughs story (like much of his work) is centered round, the story of an addict searching for a fix on Christmas Eve. And Kurt's guitar is a suitably bleak backing to Burroughs voice, a dissonant,droning wash of guitar noise and feedback. certainly, it shows the way in which Kurt's ideas on music were progressing towards the aggressive sound witnessed on In Utero.

The song was released on Vinyl picture disc and depending on the condition, can sell for big prices, so if you want to track it down i suggest you search Ebay or Amazon.

I also suggest you track down the work of Burroughs, both his novels and spoken word albums. You wont regret it, i promise!

PS A bit of random info is that its the bassist from Nirvana, Krist Novoselic posing on the cover.

█████████ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|