View Single Post
Old 05.27.2008, 07:19 AM   #816
sarramkrop

Until last week, I'd never heard of this album. Ian sent it to me. Maybe he was trying to inspire me to rewrite my list of ten albums he turned me onto, because this one definitely would make that list. I've listened to it a half-dozen times in the last week. It's that good. Mike Prete from Progweed writes, "Comprised of what was then the band Uriel, Arzachel contained some of the earliest protagonists of the prog world using faux names as to not violate their existing contract. What we have here is one of the earliest recordings to fall under the 'prog' umbrella. As can be expected from the recording date, the music here is more along the lines of psych, rather than typical symphonic prog or canterbury. Sprinkling clouds of Hammond drift along under lethargic vocals to be cut by distorted guitar and spiral into a cacophony of squealing sounds. Mont Campbell and Hillage alternate vocal duties singing of spacey mysticism (hey, what do you expect - it's still the late 60s). Hints of what to come later in Egg and Khan surface every now and then; "Garden of Earthly Delights" resembling to the former and being very similar to "Seven Is A Jolly Good Time" with it's lush organ and jerky vocals, while "Leg" typifies the British blues jamming influences of the latter. The closer, "Metempsychosis" brings to mind early Krautrock such as Tangerine Dream and Ash Ra Tempel; dissonant, spacey organ sounds, whirling guitar riffs, and driving, pulsating rhythms."

Arzachel
Arzachel
MediaFire Download link

Track Listing:
01)
Garden Of Earthly Delights
02) Azathoth
03) Queen St. Gang
04) Leg
05)
Clean Innocent Fun
06) Metempsychosis