View Single Post
Old 08.14.2007, 06:37 AM   #360
sarramkrop

I thought that this might interest the Radiohead fans, as Thom Yorke sang on on Drugstore's ' El Presidente'. I used to really like Drugstore, I wonder what happened to them. I have a lot of these tapes you'd get on the NME, Melody Maker, Select etc etc. Every now and then I bring them out and listen to them to see if there's anything that I still like. Occasionally you still find the older ones from the 80's in charity shops, and the difference in the choice of music they would put on them is remarkable. Anyway, here it is:

Fortunately, there was something remotely more critically interesting and rare in the tape bin this time, but it wasn't in great condition. This is a tape compilation released with the April 29, 1995 issue of Melody Maker.

Some of these songs are presumably not available for purchase even anywhere else. The Goya Dress and Schtum tracks are not listed on discogs at least. Drugstore's track with Radiohead dude Thom Yorke may be their best known (El President) but I'm not sure I'm liking it better than this earlier track. The My Life Story Motorcade track is pretty catchy, but still not really my favorite cup of tea. My Life Story was apparently started primarily by Jake Shillingford whose most recent band is Exileinside. I'm not sure the new band sound is pushing any new limits, but the track Butterfly Wings is quite pretty. Anyone can feel free to explain to me the whole appeal of this genre - I just bring you what's in the tape bin

Side one
Drugstore - Speaker 12
My Life Story - Motorcade

Side two
Goya Dress - Scorch (demo version)
Schtum - New Brunswick

http://dalstonoxfamshop.blogspot.com...aker-comp.html
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|