View Single Post
Old 10.13.2023, 11:51 AM   #1072
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Vienna Politics in the Dutch newspaper!, google translated

Yeah, Marco Pogo has been a sensation for years now. And honestly, I'm not surprised he's more popular than current chancellor Nehammer. Nehammer was, like, the 3rd or 4th in line after the whole chancellor Kurz debacle a couple of years ago. The chancellor had lost a vote of no confidence after all the missteps of his coalition with the far right FPÖ and several suspicions of corruption (later verified).

He for some reason got voted in again after a short period of an interim-government, only to have to leave again because of another massive scandal. Then some other party goon took is place - for a hot second or so. He too stepped down when his sweet prince Kurz was indicted. Not sure anymore if there was someone in between, the government changed heads in what seemed to be a matter of seconds for a while, so it's kind of a blur now. A few other hopefuls also stepped down in solidarity with the wannabe Gordon Gekko.

So basically the bloke who just stayed the longest got the job. No one ever voted for him and all his public appearances have been pretty disastrous. Making a hardliner case for Austria being "a country of motorists" after being criticized by environmentalists for his unwillingness to consider some more sustainable infrastructure. And recently, he had his own "47%" or "Let them eat cake"-moment, when during an event he mused that no family should complain that they can't afford that their children won't go hungry, because, get this - "the cheapest food you can get is a hamburger at McDonald's at 1.40 Euros". The dude is so out of touch with the problems people are facing, it's sad, actually. A soulless metal rod would score better than him right now.

Pogo on the other hand, despite initial satirical aspirations, has actually shown some promise. During the more crucial stages of the pandemic, he actually had some of the better takes of all the candidates and protagonists on the political stage - except for former head of the Social Democratic Party Pamela Rendi Wagner. But she's a woman and medically well-versed, reason enough for the general public to dislike her. Okay, I can feel some of my pandemic misanthropy coming up again, so I'll just wrap it up, before I lose myself in another potshot-fuelled tangent.

Pogo does have some good ideas and I can completely see why he is gaining momentum. I still voted for Van Der Bellen, because he's a seasoned politician who conducts himself with patience and dignity. Pogo's party just wasn't as all-encompassing as you'd like a party that has some major say in national politics to be. And Pogo hasn't been in the game for all too long, he still has blind spots. But he's got spunk and the right attitude. Certainly someone I'm looking out for. I feel like given time, he can mature into someone I could consider voting for. It's weird, but sometimes the candidate for the obvious satirical party has some of the better takes.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|