View Single Post
Old 04.27.2022, 08:52 AM   #53867
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
I think starting with the ramshackle Platform Blues is Pavement formula 101, reminds me of opener Stereo from BTC. Also the Hexx next instead of trashy Folk Song sets a far more dour opening tone to the record. Furthermore, finishing with Spit on a Stranger is perfect, I can't begin to imagine how the band thought this was a good choice for opening song.

Wikipedia explains it better than I:
'Deciding the track list created conflict. Godrich wanted to begin the record with "Platform Blues" and end with "Spit on a Stranger"; he felt it should open with a "longer, more challenging song to set the tempo", similar to the 1997 Radiohead album OK Computer. However, the band wanted to open with an "easier" song. Malkmus recalled, "Nigel was like, 'I'm done with this. This is the wrong move. We made a stoner album and you're going halfway.' He’s right probably."'

I was thinking about where this ranks in Pavements discography earlier on and I got to thinking how I don't really know the songs very well on Brighten the Corners compared to TT and realised I've listened to it way more times than BTC. More memorable hooks and stoned melancholia peppered throughout, even on tracks like Billie found in the outro. So I guess 2nd last?! But then Wowee Zowee is an inconsistent mess and Crooked Rain trails off.

In conclusion: when compared with Slanted... they are all shiiiiite and interchangeable at any given stoned moment.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|