View Single Post
Old 01.27.2011, 12:21 AM   #188
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
The idea is not bold, the idea is firmly set in reality. I am going to argue that frequencies above 48khz and below 20hz are affecting things as third order harmonics do indeed make a difference in the real world. Just because we can't hear them does not mean they do not affect what we hear. If we are going to discount third order harmonics we may as well discount the whole concept of audio. This is something that is very much dealt with in the real world and is by no means bold. You feel free to discount it though Hev. I wasn't trying to explain anything to an apparent audio boffin like yourself I was trying to explain to people who may not know the difference between and mp3 and an uncompressed format. And by the way 24/96 was common four years ago, the times my friend are a changin'...

And as far as light waves affecting what we hear, to a point they do, particularly the ones that affect rising temperatures or cooler temperatures, as does wind, so these ideas aren't just ideas they have been scientifically proven and taken on board by PA manufacturers for years. It actually becomes quite tedious when setting up big PA's in vastly different temperatures because of this and the PA needs to be mapped not just for different venues but for different weather conditions.

Also just because 99.9% of audio systems can't produce the frequency responses above or below 20hz/20khz does not mean that the audio is not affected by the third order harmonics, reproducing the upper and lower harmonics is not the key, allowing the harmonics to affect the ones within our hearing range does however have an affect.

This is not an invitation to start a flame war, just a response.

As for me liking surface noise, I'll just let that one slide into the ether...

Thanks for the response, I appreciate your insight. As a studio guy it is cool to think about the challenges of live audio with conditions like wind and temperature affecting things (not to mention time compensation between speaker sets). Just to be clear I literally put a sentence of your post in bold in my reply. I know it was easy to miss.

At current sample rates the frequencies below 20Hz and above 20K are going to be represented equally in both digital and analog recordings... only the digital recording won't have any friction noise that is inherent in analog (both during recording and on playback). The surface noise does give things a sense of "warmth" I guess and a little tape compression never hurt either. But sorry "mate", you must be one of those blokes above 40 years old. You clearly know your shit but you older guys tend to hang on to analog a little more.

Professional analog recording won't exist in 20 years (probably sooner).
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|