Thread: Loudness wars
View Single Post
Old 07.29.2010, 05:36 PM   #31
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Uhm... suchfriends, aren't you the one who listens to all his mp3s at 56kbps and can't notice the difference? I don't understand how you can see the audible differences in digital and analog recording but can't hear how shitty a 56kbps mp3 sounds like.

I exaggerated a bit, but I was waiting for you to add this to the mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I have a recording of Shostakovich's 13st by the Netherlands Radio Phil conducted by Mark Wigglesworth. (BIS SACD 1543). It's the best-recorded CD I own. Honestly, it's fucking incredible the range they get out of it. It's the sort of CD I wish I had a properly top-of-the-range-stereo for. And it's recorded DDD. I really think it's a very old-world attitude that says that analogue recording is the best. If digital is good enough for the classical world - and these are the people who can often perceive intervals smaller than 1/128th of a tone, just to give you an idea of their ear-capacity - I think it's probably good enough for some goit with a guitar.

OT, In case anyone's interested in their hearing, this is a test to find out how good your pitch perception is, and there's links to other tests. I got 0.4875 Hz as my final score. There are other tests for other musically related things as well.

I only really mention this because I sort of sympathise with people saying it doesn't really matter; except to say that Death Magnetic is one of the most shocking examples of a record sounding like a pile of shit. Herr Park's mentioning noise reminds me of when I used to work in an office where we could listen to music. I listened to Merzbow's 1930 at a fairly loud volume; I followed that with Avril Lavigne's second, and it was unbearably loud. 'Noise' is sort of a misnomer, in a sense, because Merzbow is quite keen on keeping his huge dynamic range, while most major labels bands are habit obliterating that.

You are right I suppose, the catch for me with all-digital recording is that it has to be done fucking superbly, with top notch equipment and a bad ass motherfucking engineer and an even better production crew. A lot of the all digital shit I hear is crap, at any bit rate. And I just can't enjoy digitally recorded vocals..

but I must admit I am a 2-3 years behind on digital recording technology, and that shit has been evolving at light speed so they just may have gotten better, but I hang around a bunch of analog cats..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|